#1 hotgem

hotgem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

Hello,

First of all, I’d like to thanks all of you out there, who’s patiently supporting us with our comments.
The things is, I made my CE4k alive!!! Ready for our bone cruhing gigs.

Am so frustrated with the said warranty, its hard for us to bring the unit in USA, ‘cause
it’stime travel and cost is so painful to do.

So the service manual and schematics helps a lot.
Once I downloaded the files…had a time to read and look for the cause of  trouble.
Did  some procedures but not too close to find, since got only basic test equipments.

Main Trouble:
Unit totally dead.
All fault & clip leds are blinking.
Power and signal dimly blinking as you observe only with room lights off.
Clicking sound in flyback pwa pcb somewhere in the small transformer (T1), synchronized in blinking of fault & clip leds.

I did try to check the flyback pwa (part number:127027-6) where I’ve seen the Viper IC which is I have just read in the forum. And there I find out that diode 4 (D4) is shorted!!!
D4 =  180V 3W SMB Zener diode.

Diode is not commercially available here in our country. So I made my substitution experiment, hoping for some luck to replace the surface mount diode.

So I put  a series of 36V Zener 1W(Motorola 1N4753). Have 5 of them, to hit 180V and a sum of 5W rating where the original is only 3W. I think there’s no big deal with watts, where raising it to high is good for protection purpose.

Once I soldered, put power in it. Cheers!!! The amp gracefully boot up. It Works!!!

Regarding to the flyback pwa where viper ic is seated. BFG PWA
(part number:127027-6)

Got a question for the guru’s of CE4000:
1. Why did the D4(Zener diode) died? Rather shorted? In short, what is the cause of failure? I think got the same case with some previous unit in your repair department, to share whats the catch. because its so hard to explain  with my unit, since the unit is not used for a longtime, just there plugged but not turned on. Once turned on, found the trouble
2. Is there a great impact in the amplifier stage? Are still my speakers and amp protected?
3. Or with shorting of the zener diode, is there a risk that my power supply is out of trust? That can make trouble again sometime?

Though Im so happy that I serviced my amp all by myself, I still got a doubt that my amp is still in danger. And it’s a shame for us I guess, holding crown name, then it shuts off in the middle of the show. I hope It won’t happen again.
Any Ideas sir?

But once again, I really appreciated the support of Crown giving us an exellent product and help support too!!!

More power to all of you guys!!!

Many Thanks,
Russel

#2 hotgem

hotgem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(hotgem @ Dec 14 2006, 11:54 AM)
Hello,

First of all, I’d like to thanks all of you out there, who’s patiently supporting us with our comments.
The things is, I made my CE4k alive!!! Ready for our bone cruhing gigs.

Am so frustrated with the said warranty, its hard for us to bring the unit in USA, ‘cause
it’stime travel and cost is so painful to do.

So the service manual and schematics helps a lot.
Once I downloaded the files…had a time to read and look for the cause of  trouble.
Did  some procedures but not too close to find, since got only basic test equipments.

Main Trouble:
Unit totally dead.
All fault & clip leds are blinking.
Power and signal dimly blinking as you observe only with room lights off.
Clicking sound in flyback pwa pcb somewhere in the small transformer (T1), synchronized in blinking of fault & clip leds.

I did try to check the flyback pwa (part number:127027-6) where I’ve seen the Viper IC which is I have just read in the forum. And there I find out that diode 4 (D4) is shorted!!!
D4 =  180V 3W SMB Zener diode.

Diode is not commercially available here in our country. So I made my substitution experiment, hoping for some luck to replace the surface mount diode.

So I put  a series of 36V Zener 1W(Motorola 1N4753). Have 5 of them, to hit 180V and a sum of 5W rating where the original is only 3W. I think there’s no big deal with watts, where raising it to high is good for protection purpose.

Once I soldered, put power in it. Cheers!!! The amp gracefully boot up. It Works!!!

Regarding to the flyback pwa where viper ic is seated. BFG PWA
(part number:127027-6)

Got a question for the guru’s of CE4000:
1. Why did the D4(Zener diode) died? Rather shorted? In short, what is the cause of failure? I think got the same case with some previous unit in your repair department, to share whats the catch. because its so hard to explain  with my unit, since the unit is not used for a longtime, just there plugged but not turned on. Once turned on, found the trouble
2. Is there a great impact in the amplifier stage? Are still my speakers and amp protected?
3. Or with shorting of the zener diode, is there a risk that my power supply is out of trust? That can make trouble again sometime?

Though Im so happy that I serviced my amp all by myself, I still got a doubt that my amp is still in danger. And it’s a shame for us I guess, holding crown name, then it shuts off in the middle of the show. I hope It won’t happen again.
Any Ideas sir?

But once again, I really appreciated the support of Crown giving us an exellent product and help support too!!!

More power to all of you guys!!!

Many Thanks,
Russel
View Post

Hello,

I thought, this was the coolest forum of crown?
Where are the doctors? Am so curious of the said case, because we're planning to have some new one. So that we could have some security purposes with this babys.

Is there anyone who could share us some insights?
Or I better close this string...cause its nothing to bother for us having this problem...

#3 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:11 PM

Hi HotGem,
You might have seen reference to my CE4000 that had a problem with the ViperIC on the (LVPS) Low voltage power supply.
The Power supply itself was replaced and I have not had a problem since.
I was told that the problem was due to a bad solder joint, as in Cold Solder Joint,
or that it was never soldered correctly from the start.

I would think that a faulty solder joint that could sometime spark itself together, could possibly take out a component such as the Diode.
This is total conjecture on my part though.
We'll see if David or someone from Crown has an answer for you.
Though they may need the PCB for inspection, unless there is a track record with the CE4000 and the ViperIC that we are not privy to.

Good luck in your Quest.

Have a great '07

Bud

PS. Did you try and contact Crown to order a new Part?
I would imagine that something as small as a Diode, could be easily put in a padded envelope and sent to you!
I mean, how much could it cost?
Plus if Crown has Authorized Repair facility's in your country, couldn't you have just ordered it from them?