which boundary mic & how many?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pastorn8

pastorn8
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

I'm thinking of getting a couple pzm's for the stage at my church (pretty small--22 ft x 10 ft, 11 foot ceiling, walls on sides & back of stage) to pick up kids' voices during a christmas play & possibly use in the future for weddings, etc.

I'm trying to figure out which/how many mics to get in order to cover that area.  We're on a very limited budget, so though I'd like to splurge, I need functionality over luxary. Suggestions?

#2 MChapman

MChapman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(pastorn8 @ Nov 13 2006, 05:27 PM)
I'm thinking of getting a couple pzm's for the stage at my church (pretty small--22 ft x 10 ft, 11 foot ceiling, walls on sides & back of stage) to pick up kids' voices during a christmas play & possibly use in the future for weddings, etc.
Suggestions?
View Post

If you are planning on just recording, then the PZM would be a great choice. But if you are planning to use the mics for "sound reinforcement", then unless you want to spend time modifying their pickup pattern with Plexiglass or plywood, then the PCC-160 would be the better choice. The PZM picks up from all directions when placed on a boundary (wall, floor, desk. etc. ), and this is called hemispherical, or half omni directional. The PCC mics are directional by design, using a supercardioid capsule, and give a nice wide pickup on the front, with nulls to the sides, and a little pickup toward the rear. This lends itself to use for amplified sound much better. The PCC-160 is still the mic of choice for drama applications because of its size, performance, and durability from the all steel chassis construction.
<span style='color:blue'>J. Mark Chapman
Crown Application Support Technician</span>