• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RycheRulz

RycheRulz
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

I have a CE 1000.
I have 2 Community XLT 43 speaker cabinets (8 ohm impedance, 200 W Conitnous power, 500 W Program Power).
Currently running in Stereo Mode
Sensitivity switch on Crown is set to 1.4.
I use the Neurtik Spekon Outputs (with a 1/4" adapter on them).
It's been running for at least 7 years without a hitch.
Right now, I'm getting 275 W per side, which isn't enough for my needs.

Per recommendations and information from Crown Audio and Community Tech Support staff following my questions, they say the following will work without blowing my stuff up (if I'm careful).

I want to run in Bridge Mono Mode to get the extra power (1100W total, 550W per speaker), and yes I know I need to be careful not to blow the speakers.

Here's what I THINK I need to do, and please tell me if I'm wrong.

Turn off everything.
Turn the switch on the back of the Crown amp to Bridge.
Hook up Neutrik Spekon output Channel 1 to the first speaker.
Hook up the 2nd speaker to the 1st speaker (piggy back them).

Turn on the Crown with all levels turned off.  Slowly turn up Channel 1 (leave 2 off) to see if anything bad happens, then feed signal through my mixing console (Behringer UB2442FX-PRO) and listen for anything odd.

Am I right and it's that simple?  At first when looking at the CE 1000 manual, it looked like I had to put a wire across the barrier block inputs from + to +, but now I'm thinking that is NOT what I need to do.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:55 AM

You have it right except you will need a special wiring configuration of the amplifier speaker cable Speakon.

Bridge-Mono basically combines the two channels of an amplifier and makes the amplifier into a larger mono output amplifier and the speakers are connected across the positive output leads of channel 1 and channel 2.

Input is set to the channel one input only and with the Bridge-Mono switch set the amplifier inverts the signal sending it to channel 2. With the polarity of the two channels reversed and the speakers connected across the two positive output connections the speaker load is floating between the two amplifier positive outputs. Since polarity is reversed between the channels as the signal on one output side swings high the other side is swinging the exact same amount low.

The amplifier channel 1 Speakon connector has both the Channel 1 output, on Pins 1+/1-, and the Channel 2 output, on Pins 2+/2-. Standard Speakon cables will come wired for 1+/1- so to get Bridge-Mono output. You will need to open a Speakon connector and move the wire connected to the 1- pin to the 2+ pin. After closing the connector I would label it as being the “amp end only” connector for “Bridge-Mono” use. This connector should then only be used in the amplifier’s channel one Speakon for Bridge-mono operation.

I am attaching links below on our web site that will have further information on connecting a Speakon Connector for Bridge-Mono operation.

The “Crown Amplifier Application Guide”
http://www.crownaudi.../pdf/133472.pdf

Page 3 of our “Guide to Neutrik Speakon NL4FC Connector Assembly”
http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/126986.pdf

The speaker ends of the cable would not be changed nor would the cable going from speaker to speaker.
smile.gif