connecting to IQ wiht the black box CL 1090 A-F

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ablebakercharlie

ablebakercharlie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 10:44 AM

The 1090A replaced the previously-recommended converter, which is no longer produced.   I recall reading on this forum that this was the case, so I bought one.  I cannot get the thing to work!  I get the checking for this/that when I do a roll call, but no devices are found.  In one of the systems I am dealing with (and only one) there's an 810, which I can directly connect to via rs232 and it all works, so the software/com port is not an issue.  I AM remembering to check the use converter box in setup_communications.

I have wired the converter as active transmit and passive receive (also tried all passive).

Anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks.

Ed

#2 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 11:53 AM

Ed-

I have not personally tested the new unit. Attached is the instruction set for the older unit. You may also want to try Black Box and ask them the differences between the two units. The information they gave us is that it would work the same.

Attached Files

-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#3 ablebakercharlie

ablebakercharlie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:40 PM

UPDATE/CORRECTION:

I mistakenly stated that I was getting the checking for this/that when doing a roll call -- in reality, when the software tries com 1 (where the converter is), it just goes on to com 2.  No error or anything, it just goes on.  Com 2 generates an error message (there is no com 2 in my laptop). Com 3 gets the checking this/that dialog from the roll call, it finds nothing, as com 3 is the computer's internal modem!  

So, where I am at, is that the software seems (best guess here) to see some "thing" on com 1 but obviously it doesn't see it as an IQ loop.

I am waiting on a reply from black box; I need to test the unit by iteslf to see if it is defective, anybody here able to tell me how to make it talk to itself for testing purposes?

Thanks,
Ed

#4 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:36 PM

Based on the fact that the COM port is not communicating, you may want to try seeing if a null modem is needed, or if removing Pin 4 would clear a CTS wait state.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#5 ablebakercharlie

ablebakercharlie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:59 PM

I have been in a fair amount of contact with BlackBox, and still can't get this thing to work.  

Using a null modem cable the software sends one message, gets no responses, and the result is a loop with no components.

Using a proper cable the port is essentially skipped.

The folks at  BlackBox will sell me one of the old style boxes for $75 on a custom, 3-week turnaround basis.  I need to re-eq an IQ-based theatre in about 10 days.

They seem to think something else is wrong.  They also state that without a working/known-good current loop system, there is no way to test the converter.  I can't help but wonder if the converter is bad.  I may have to zap the crap out of it and return it under their no-fault warranty.....

Once again, has ANYBODY out there gotten a CL1090AF to work on any IQ system????

Ed