CE1000 Mechanical Hum Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 soundbroker

soundbroker
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

I have a CE-1000 that is just about brand new.I put it in my equipment rack intending to use it as a rear surround channel (it is in a very large home cinema system) and it has a very loud mechanical transformer hum.  huh.gif  There is no hum from the speakers, this is strictly a mechanical transformer hum. Any easy way to fix this? It is annoyingly loud. The amp is on a 20 amp line that is steady at between 118 and 120 volts.

#2 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(soundbroker @ Oct 18 2006, 05:12 PM)
I have a CE-1000 that is just about brand new.I put it in my equipment rack intending to use it as a rear surround channel (it is in a very large home cinema system) and it has a very loud mechanical transformer hum.  huh.gif  There is no hum from the speakers, this is strictly a mechanical transformer hum. Any easy way to fix this? It is annoyingly loud. The amp is on a 20 amp line that is steady at between 118 and 120 volts.
View Post

Good day try to do a search on this site somebody had the same issue about 3-4 month ago good luck.

#3 soundbroker

soundbroker
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(Stephane @ Oct 18 2006, 05:52 PM)
Good day try to do a search on this site somebody had the same issue about 3-4 month ago good luck.
View Post

Saw that. Issue is that it hums whether it is in the rack, out of the rack sitting on soft carpet, or if I hold it in my hands. Definitely a pretty hefty transformer hum. It is exacerbated by being mounted in the rack (tightly), but still there none the less. I have other amps in the rack and they don't hum anywhere near this extent.

#4 rglasservision

rglasservision

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:26 AM

I have never done this fix but it was on a web site that I read some time ago. The claim was that by placing a toothpick or two in the windings of the transformer it stopped the vibration or hum coming from the unit. Caution:dealing with potential danger here but others responding claimed it worked. I make no such claims or guarantees. blink.gif