10 replies to this topic

#1 DJ-MK

DJ-MK
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

hi

Have 3 questions :

1) When i turn on the amp with the gains all way down i hear a "CLICK" noise from the speakers, it is normal ?

2) Alfer 6 hours of normal use, i turn off the amp ,and accidentaly i touch the AC metal plug of the amp ,and it gives me electric shock !!!

3) I just update my XTI-1000 and i notice the display doesnt  show me the voltage
of the AC wall in the diagnostic mode.

thanks
Matias

Buenos Aires
Argentina

#2 Robson

Robson

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(DJ-MK @ Oct 18 2006, 01:29 PM)
hi

Have 3 questions :

1) When i turn on the amp with the gains all way down i hear a "CLICK" noise from the speakers, it is normal ?

2) Alfer 6 hours of normal use, i turn off the amp ,and accidentaly i touch the AC metal plug of the amp ,and it gives me electric shock !!!

3) I just update my XTI-1000 and i notice the display doesnt  show me the voltage
of the AC wall in the diagnostic mode.

thanks
Matias

Buenos Aires
Argentina
View Post

Answers:
1 / Probably a small click if you are really listening for it.

2/ This is normal - there is still AC stored in the Caps of the PSU - These should discharge after a few seconds. I have had shocks off Itechs in the past doing the same thing.

3/ There is not an option to get the A/C line voltage displayed - The front panel will only show a 'Lo-Line' fault if the AC is out of range.

Cheers

Rob

#3 DJ-MK

DJ-MK
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Rob for the answers

But before i update my xti , it displays the AC voltage (like 221 V or 222 V ) in the diagnostic.

matias

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(DJ-MK @ Oct 20 2006, 09:23 AM)
Thanks Rob for the answers

But before i update my xti , it displays the AC voltage (like 221 V or 222 V ) in the diagnostic.

matias
View Post

When the amp was released it was released with a very simple firmware and there was lots of free memory space for extras. To get all the code into the amp that is needed to do all the things it does, via the software, a lot of that memory space was taken up with necessary code.
It basicaly came down to this: Would we rather the amp tell you what AC line voltage it is connected to or provide an exter filter or two in the the EQ section. Since the amp already tells you if the AC line is low or high we opted for the more useful items. smile.gif

#5 DJ-MK

DJ-MK
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

Oh

im a mobile dj so the ac voltage was useful for me  sad.gif

can i go back to the old firmware again ?  sad.gif

thanks

matias

#6 meest

meest
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(DJ-MK @ Oct 20 2006, 03:08 PM)
Oh

im a mobile dj so the ac voltage was useful for me  sad.gif

can i go back to the old firmware again ?  sad.gif

thanks

matias
View Post

Or you could go get a multi-meter and have the best of both worlds! tongue.gif

#7 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(DJ-MK @ Oct 20 2006, 05:08 PM)
Oh

thanks

matias
View Post

In this case there is no way to go gack. sad.gif

#8 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Get your self a power conditioner with a voltmeter like furman if you do not want to spend too much this http://www.furmansound.com/products/pro/pw.../_merit/m8d.php , they also have more expensive conditioner as well if you are welling to pay more , but if you are interested only for the voltage then find the cheapest one :-)

QUOTE(DGlass @ Oct 26 2006, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE(DJ-MK @ Oct 20 2006, 05:08 PM)
Oh 

thanks 

matias
View Post

In this case there is no way to go gack. sad.gif
View Post

#9 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:48 AM

Stephane,Oct 26 2006, 09:37 PM]
Get your self a power conditioner with a voltmeter like furman if you do not want to spend too much this http://www.furmansound.com/products/pro/pw.../_merit/m8d.php , they also have more expensive conditioner as well if you are welling to pay more , but if you are interested only for the voltage then find the cheapest one :-)

Howdy,
  Just an FYI about power conditioners or power strips being used with Power Amps.

If you plug a Power Amp into one of these, it may trip, especially if the Power Amp
is being ran under a "Heavy Load" as in Subs!

Because of this, I only plug my Power Amps directly into an outlet which supplies good solid power!
Most AC panels today have 20 amp resetable circuit breaker's, even though the outlet, is a 15 amp outlet.
The majority of Furman's and power strips in general, have a light duty 15 amp breaker,
which is meant to pop easily for safety!
You can get a 20 amp version of Furman's and others.
Of course the 20 amp versions will also have a NEMA 20 amp plug, which will not fit into a 15 amp outlet.

My CE4000 on Subs, will pop a 15 amp outlet strip every time! Fo Get about it!
However, IF your Power Amp is being used under a "Light Load" for say Top Cabs or Monitors,
then it may not trip and you will be ok..
Just make sure and check this out with YOUR system before you hit the Gig,
no one likes surprises in front of a crowd!

As I said, just an FYI.

Later,
    Bud

#10 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Bud Bolf @ Oct 28 2006, 01:48 AM)
Stephane,Oct 26 2006, 09:37 PM]

Howdy,
  Just an FYI about power conditioners or power strips being used with Power Amps.

If you plug a Power Amp into one of these, it may trip, especially if the Power Amp  
is being ran under a "Heavy Load" as in Subs!

Because of this, I only plug my Power Amps directly into an outlet which supplies good solid power!
Most AC panels today have 20 amp resetable circuit breaker's, even though the outlet, is a 15 amp outlet.
The majority of Furman's and power strips in general, have a light duty 15 amp breaker,  
which is meant to pop easily for safety!
You can get a 20 amp version of Furman's and others.
Of course the 20 amp versions will also have a NEMA 20 amp plug, which will not fit into a 15 amp outlet.

My CE4000 on Subs, will pop a 15 amp outlet strip every time! Fo Get about it!
However, IF your Power Amp is being used under a "Light Load" for say Top Cabs or Monitors,  
then it may not trip and you will be ok..
Just make sure and check this out with YOUR system before you hit the Gig,  
no one likes surprises in front of a crowd!

As I said, just an FYI.

Later,
    Bud
View Post

Hey Bud yes i do understand but if he does have only one xti 1000, a mixer and two turn tables i would not be too worry unless is going to two ohms road, in your case a CE4000 on sub (6) hee hee draw a bit more current, and if he does pop the circuit breaker no sweat (not in front of a crowd :-)  )just hook up the amp to the regular outlet as usual and the power conditioner will still give you the voltage and the mixer and whatever else will still be protected :-)

#11 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:28 AM

Hey Bud yes i do understand but if he does have only one xti 1000, a mixer and two turn tables i would not be too worry unless is going to two ohms road, in your case a CE4000 on sub (6) hee hee draw a bit more current, and if he does pop the circuit breaker no sweat (not in front of a crowd :-)  )just hook up the amp to the regular outlet as usual and the power conditioner will still give you the voltage and the mixer and whatever else will still be protected :-)
View Post

Howdy Stephane,
As I said, it was just an FYI, so DJ-MK knows that the possibility of a Power Amp tripping a 15amp Furman or outlet strip does exist.
Especially if other Equipment besides the Power amp are also plugged in together.
As you and I both have said in our responses to DJ-MK, due to his setup it may not be a problem at all.

A standard practice when deciding on exactly what Power requirements are needed to properly power your equipment, is to add up the AC Power draw / amps, of all equipment that is to be used.
For myself I want a minimum of 60amps but prefer 100amps, for FOH and Backline.
That does not include Par Light trees with dimmer paks.

XTi 1000, AC Power Draw specs.
Line current, amps Load At idle, 0.62

1/8 Power Pink Noise, Typical of program material just at clip.
8 ohms per channel:  4.60 amps
4 ohms per channel:  7.44 amps
2 ohms per channel:  11.56 amps

1/3 Power Pink Noise, Typical of program material with severe clipping
8 ohms per channel: 6.78 amps
4 ohms per channel: 11.31 amps
2 ohms per channel: 17.54 amps

For DJ-MK it would be all of the equipment he uses, as in Mixer, Turntables, Lights, Power amp (see above)
and anything else that he did not mention.

For what it's worth DJ, I have never had a digital AC power display and I have been setting up Weekend Warrior,
Live Sound systems for 30 years!
I've used a Digital Voltmeter (DVM) when checking power.
You will be fine without this option.
As you can see from the Power Draw specs above, it takes SEVERE Clipping
at 2 ohms to appraoch 17.54 amps.
Best is at 8 ohms per channel.
What are your speakers rated at?

Have fun and enjoy your new XTi.

Bud