• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 FLDave

FLDave
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:39 AM

Hi all,

I just bought an XTI 4000 today biggrin.gif and have a couple of minor questions.

I hooked it up to my mixer and speakers and turned it on with the volume knobs all the way down and heard a noticable "pop" from the speakers...nothing drastic, but a decent "pop" nonetheless.

As the amp was powering up it made a click then 3 more quick clicks.

I ran a CD player into the mixer and was checking out the sound levels of the speakers with the amp and I ran the system for about an hour or more in a 90+ degree garage (I'm in Florida). I never saw the cooling fan turn on at all...is this normal? I was running the amp down in the -20 range and wasn't going crazy but when all was over the unit felt decently warm.

I just want to make sure my units running correctly. Is all this normal?

Thanks in advance,
FLDave cool.gif

#2 Robson

Robson

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE(FLDave @ Sep 8 2006, 12:39 AM)
Hi all,

I just bought an XTI 4000 today biggrin.gif and have a couple of minor questions.

I hooked it up to my mixer and speakers and turned it on with the volume knobs all the way down and heard a noticable "pop" from the speakers...nothing drastic, but a decent "pop" nonetheless.

As the amp was powering up it made a click then 3 more quick clicks.

I ran a CD player into the mixer and was checking out the sound levels of the speakers with the amp and I ran the system for about an hour or more in a 90+ degree garage (I'm in Florida). I never saw the cooling fan turn on at all...is this normal? I was running the amp down in the -20 range and wasn't going crazy but when all was over the unit felt decently warm.

I just want to make sure my units running correctly. Is all this normal?

Thanks in advance,
FLDave cool.gif
View Post

Hi,

i can't comment directly on the initial turn on  'pop' but the clicks are normal, and the fan (and amp) is designed to provide very efficient convection cooling, with the assistance of the fan under heavy use.

I had a rack of 6 amplifiers with no gaps in a 12U rack on soak for 1 day (8 hours) and the top of the rack (and front of the amplifiers) were very warm to the touch, but the fans had not cut in on any amps.

I ran an amp under full load (just before clip) for about 5 minutes before the fan kicked in. This was reproduced on every amplifier tested.

I wouldnt worry about it, it seems the amp is operating within specs.

Enjoy

Rob

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:20 AM

The clicks you hear are the protection relays kicking in.
There may be a slight thump as the amp turns on but it shouldn't be very loud.

#4 FLDave

FLDave
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Rob and Dave...that's a little less stress in my life. tongue.gif

I have only one more question, I recently moved out to the country where broadband internet is not available (at least not available to someone like me that isn't willing to fork out $300.00 satellite installation and $50.00 per month).

There is no way my dial-up connection is going to be able to download the firmware. I already wasted a large portion of last night trying. sad.gif

Is there a way I can get the firmware on disc?

If so, please tell me how..

Thanks,
FLDave cool.gif

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(FLDave @ Sep 8 2006, 11:03 AM)
Thanks Rob and Dave...that's a little less stress in my life. tongue.gif

I have only one more question, I recently moved out to the country where broadband internet is not available (at least not available to someone like me that isn't willing to fork out $300.00 satellite installation and $50.00 per month).

There is no way my dial-up connection is going to be able to download the firmware. I already wasted a large portion of last night trying. sad.gif

Is there a way I can get the firmware on disc?

If so, please tell me how..

Thanks,
FLDave cool.gif
View Post

Send me a Personnel Message through this forum with your address and I will burn and mail a CD out to you. Do not post your address openly in the Forum.

#6 FLDave

FLDave
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

Thanks David,

I just PM'd you.

Thanks Again,
FLDave cool.gif

#7 Dude

Dude
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hi I just bought a complete jbl srx system and wish to drive it with 2 xti 4000 & 1 xti 2000. This is to be a portable system! But i dont know how to power the amps, will a normal 240 v wall plug run those amps do i need 3 phase power -- and how can i get portable 3 phase power?

Please help!

#8 DjLeco

DjLeco

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

Hi from ROMANIA!
Mi cousin has received an XTI 4000 from his father from USA.
I used it @4 ohms but same problem with FAN, is off.
Studying topology, it looks the final amplifier power is CLASS T, like class D =low power dissipation.
I think there's no way to worry about cooling(the fan).
I will try next time lower impedancyes,for more time,to see whazz happening with that fan.
Cheerz!

#9 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(DjLeco @ Oct 1 2006, 09:07 AM)
Hi from ROMANIA!
Mi cousin has received an XTI 4000 from his father from USA.
I used it @4 ohms but same problem with FAN, is off.
Studying topology, it looks the final amplifier power is CLASS T, like class D =low power dissipation.
I think there's no way to worry about cooling(the fan).
I will try next time lower impedancyes,for more time,to see whazz happening with that fan.
Cheerz!
View Post

The Xti amps are AB+B topology.
The fans will only run when need and only as fast as needed. The turn on temperature is about 65 degrees C.
To test the fans to see if they are working hold in the center front panel button (Prev/Up) and power up the amp. This will light up the front LEDs and set the fan to full on.