Please Help / Amp Newbie Kinda :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Ballistic

DJ Ballistic
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

I have just acquired a Crown Com-Tech 200 power amp from a friend and it does work, it was in a church installation and they no longer need it.  I am a private party DJ and I would love to use this as a booth monitor amp or main power amp for a small system.  The problem is the standard P.I.P. module in it doesn't have RCA inputs.  My mixer has RCA outputs.  Is there ANY way possible that I can cut the ends of one of my RCA cables and just wire them in that way so i can make sure of this amp?  I am feeling like there HAS to be some way of doing this, i don't really wanna spend the money for the RCA P.I.P. since i got the amp for free and all i need it to do is work with my DJ setup.  

Please help, i am able to fully understand technical descriptions so no problems there I just don't want to mess anything up.  Please please help.

Need help quickly, the party is soon.

#2 Robson

Robson

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(DJ Ballistic @ Aug 19 2006, 06:45 PM)
I have just acquired a Crown Com-Tech 200 power amp from a friend and it does work, it was in a church installation and they no longer need it.  I am a private party DJ and I would love to use this as a booth monitor amp or main power amp for a small system.  The problem is the standard P.I.P. module in it doesn't have RCA inputs.  My mixer has RCA outputs.  Is there ANY way possible that I can cut the ends of one of my RCA cables and just wire them in that way so i can make sure of this amp?  I am feeling like there HAS to be some way of doing this, i don't really wanna spend the money for the RCA P.I.P. since i got the amp for free and all i need it to do is work with my DJ setup. 

Please help, i am able to fully understand technical descriptions so no problems there I just don't want to mess anything up.  Please please help.

Need help quickly, the party is soon.
View Post

Hi,

You can make up a unbalanced to balanced cable.
the finished cable will have an RCA connector at one end, and a XLR Male connector at the other.
You need to wire the tip of the rca conector to pin 2 of the XLR. Wire the ring of the rca connector to pin 1 and 3 of the xlr.
Job done.
Try to keep this cable at about three metres, as longer runs of unbalanced cables can be noisy due to susceptability to interference.

Let us know if there are any problems

Cheers

Rob

#3 DJ Ballistic

DJ Ballistic
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hi,

You can make up a unbalanced to balanced cable.
the finished cable will have an RCA connector at one end, and a XLR Male connector at the other.
You need to wire the tip of the rca conector to pin 2 of the XLR. Wire the ring of the rca connector to pin 1 and 3 of the xlr.
Job done.
Try to keep this cable at about three metres, as longer runs of unbalanced cables can be noisy due to susceptability to interference.

Let us know if there are any problems

Cheers

Rob
View Post

My amp doesn't have XLR connectors either.  Only speaker type terminals for the inputs and the outputs.  I think I can snip off the one end of the RCA cable and i think the outside ring is positive and the tip is negative and wire it that way.  What do you think?

#4 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Hi DJ,
You said:

My amp doesn't have XLR connectors either.  Only speaker type terminals for the inputs and the outputs.  I think I can snip off the one end of the RCA cable and i think the outside ring is positive and the tip is negative and wire it that way.  What do you think?

I assume that you mean Barrier strip?
Screws to attach the wires to?
You could get a couple of Y Crimps to go under the screw or just the bare wire..
Have your RCA at one end and cut of the other ends RCA and put on Crimps.
If you have a meter (continuity, easily found at radio Shack, Home Depot, Leows, etc.. etc...) you can determine which wire is the positive on the RCA the center pole and Negative the outer shields.
Connect the Positive wire to the Positive screw at the Barrier Strip ( + ) and the Negative to the Negative ( - )

Do you have the Manual for your Power Amp?
If not click here: Com-Tech OP Manual

Section 3.8 will tell you about un-balanced Input wiring.

There are other selections that you need to make about the Output to your Speakers.
More than likely the 8/4 ohm and Dual Mono / Stereo.
Read the Manual.

Good luck,
    Bud

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:04 PM

You could also order the PIP-FMX module for the amp from the Crown Parts Department. It will replace the standard input screw terminal PIP-BB that came with CT-00 series amplifiers. smile.gif