xls 602D

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tharrison

tharrison
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:01 PM

Hi. I recently bought an XLS 602D.  All the recent xls series amps have a bridged mono selector switch on the back. Mine does not.  Is it possible to run this amp in bridge mono mode?  I would like to use it to drive my sub woofer, but I need both channel's power. Could this be an out of production amp since the XLS manuals online show this selector switch?  Thanks..

#2 xtremeevents

xtremeevents
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

hi ... i have the same problem but i want to be more specific .. i want to use the xls 602 on mono (parallel mode) but not bridge, on my mixer i have only one output for subs but i want to use it on both channels , is there any way possible to do that ??, maybe other Y cable configuration ??

thanks a lot

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE(xtremeevents @ Jul 25 2006, 11:08 PM)
hi ... i have the same problem but i want to be more specific .. i want to use the xls 602 on mono (parallel mode) but not bridge, on my mixer i have only one output for subs but i want to use it on both channels , is there any way possible to do that ??, maybe other Y cable configuration ??

thanks a lot
View Post

For your application you would need to use a "Y" cable on the inputs.  smile.gif

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(tharrison @ Jul 25 2006, 10:01 PM)
Hi. I recently bought an XLS 602D. All the recent xls series amps have a bridged mono selector switch on the back. Mine does not. Is it possible to run this amp in bridge mono mode? I would like to use it to drive my sub woofer, but I need both channel's power. Could this be an out of production amp since the XLS manuals online show this selector switch? Thanks..
View Post

The current model of the XLS amplifiers is the new D series. The new D series has a Bridge-Mono Switch but the original XLS amplifiers did not.

In amplifiers that have a BM switch the switch routes (Ys) the input signal from channel 1 to channel 2 bypassing the channel 2 input level control and only uses the channel 1 level control. The signal polarity is then reversed before being fed to the channel 2 side of the amplifier. Amplifiers that do not have a Bridge-Mono switch need to be set up for BM the old fashion way. To do this you use a custom Y cable on the input that will reverse the polarity of the signal going to channel 2. Since there is no switch to bypass the channel 2 level control the amplifiers input  level controls need to be level matched. The easiest way to do this is set the amp to full output otherwise someone may inadvertently change the level on one side and unbalance the outputs. Doing this could cause damage to the amplifier.
Bridge-Mono basically combined the two channels of an amplifier and makes the amplifier into a larger mono output amplifier.

I posted a .pdf how to make a custom Y cable in the following forum topic.
http://www.crownaudi...owtopic=307&hl= ://http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/in...wtopic=307&hl= ://http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/in...wtopic=307&hl= ://http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/in...wtopic=307&hl=

(do to a server problem the above link is no longer available check see the posting of 9/13/06 for the Custom "Y" cable diagrams-dglass9/13/06)

You then must connect your speakers across the positive output leads of channel 1 and channel 2.
With the custom Y cable inverting the polarity of channel 2 so that it is the mirror image of channel 1 one output side is reversed polarity and is going high, with the signal source while the other side will be going low the same amount. If you measured the output voltage between the two positive outputs you would have twice the voltage output because you are referencing the negative side of the signal to an output side that is changing, with the signal.

#5 Gene1995

Gene1995
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

Dglass...
Is the pdf still active for the Y Cable info...cannot seem to be able to get to the link. Tells me must be logged in which I am or link is inactive....thanks

gene1995

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(Gene1995 @ Sep 12 2006, 10:37 AM)
Dglass...
Is the pdf still active for the Y Cable info...cannot seem to be able to get to the link. Tells me must be logged in which I am or link is inactive....thanks

gene1995
View Post

It appears we had a server problem a while back and most of the very early posts had to be deleted. So I am going to repost the diagrams here for now and I am working on getting them posted onto the Crown Knowledge Base as well.

Attached Files

#7 Gene1995

Gene1995
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the re-post on the Y Cable...I got it now !!!!!!!!!!!

Gene1995

QUOTE(DGlass @ Sep 13 2006, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE(Gene1995 @ Sep 12 2006, 10:37 AM)
Dglass...

gene1995
View Post

It appears we had a server problem a while back and most of the very early posts had to be deleted. So I am going to repost the diagrams here for now and I am working on getting them posted onto the Crown Knowledge Base as well.
View Post