XTi "Protect - Thermal?"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 djr587

djr587
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

well I jut bought an Xti 1000 to power in bridged mono a pair of JBL Jrx 115 500 watt speakers

the sales rep said but using the paralell ports on the speakers its a perfect match .

I first setup the amp at my house to run in bridged mode using the LED display menu
the amp worked fine .

Then I inserted the amp into our rackspace , plugged in the inputs and tested the wiring, the level meters moved and the amp works

Plugged in my Banana cable - to neutrik speakon running into the speakers hooked up in paralell

and the amp clicks on and clicks off.

whats up with this ?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(djr587 @ Jul 22 2006, 11:04 AM)
well I jut bought an Xti 1000 to power in bridged mono a pair of JBL Jrx 115 500 watt speakers

the sales rep said but using the paralell ports on the speakers its a perfect match .

I first setup the amp at my house to run in bridged mode using the LED display menu
the amp worked fine .

Then I inserted the amp into our rackspace , plugged in the inputs and tested the wiring, the level meters moved and the amp works

Plugged in my Banana cable - to neutrik speakon running into the speakers hooked up in paralell

and the amp clicks on and clicks off.

whats up with this ?
View Post

How are you connecting the bannana plug?
The positive lead of the banana plug should go to the amplifier's Channel 1 Positive output teminal and the negative lead, of the banana plug, should be going to the amplifiers Channel 2 Positive output terminal. smile.gif

#3 djr587

djr587
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

yeah no everythings hooked up correctly..

but heres food for thought , I jut plugged the amp in no wires connected into my wall..

now it doesnt turn on .

:-D

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(djr587 @ Jul 24 2006, 12:42 PM)

but heres food for thought , I jut plugged the amp in no wires connected into my wall..

now it doesnt turn on .

View Post

Huh? huh.gif
I know it sounds stupid to ask this but your last comment doesn't make much sense. Is the AC plugged into the wall? unsure.gif Or is it the AC is plugged in but the speakers and input aren't? unsure.gif

#5 djr587

djr587
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

Everything is plugged in, and I figured it out.

the 3rd prong; the ground prong on the 3 prong cable, needs to be firmly "forced" into the outlet . the plug must be on a for lack of better words "air tight" flush 90 degrees into the ground socket. If its not grounded the amp will no turn on .

headed in leu of reading the warning sticker on the cable itself . and after 3 shimmys of the actualy cord itself.

QUOTE(DGlass @ Jul 24 2006, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE(djr587 @ Jul 24 2006, 12:42 PM)

now it doesnt turn on .

View Post

Huh? huh.gif
I know it sounds stupid to ask this but your last comment doesn't make much sense. Is the AC plugged into the wall? unsure.gif Or is it the AC is plugged in but the speakers and input aren't? unsure.gif
View Post

#6 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

I had 2 XTi coming in for this same problem. The customer used one Xti the night before with no problem. Tried to use the next day, boom! the amp is power cycling. Tried the other amp same thing! Kinda odd that two working amps should break down at the same time, with the same symptom! Received the amps at the shop, powered up OK! Tested both amps for a full day with no adverse effects. The only thing I'm thinking is the AC. Tried using an ungrounded cable to no effect. The ground doesn't appear to be responsible for the cycling effect.

#7 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(joust @ Aug 5 2006, 08:54 AM)
I had 2 XTi coming in for this same problem. The customer used one Xti the night before with no problem. Tried to use the next day, boom! the amp is power cycling. Tried the other amp same thing! Kinda odd that two working amps should break down at the same time, with the same symptom! Received the amps at the shop, powered up OK! Tested both amps for a full day with no adverse effects. The only thing I'm thinking is the AC. Tried using an ungrounded cable to no effect. The ground doesn't appear to be responsible for the cycling effect.
View Post

Did the amp say anything on the display like "Lo Line" etc.... when this happened?

#8 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

Unfortunately no, haven't been able to confirm the customer's dire. Both amps operated satisfactorily here at the shop. (The amps were tested for lo AC voltage: Went into protection mode at about 90VAC.)The amps were returned to the customer [for further evaluation] and, eventually, would not power up and were returned. Two new units were dispatched to them and have been functionning well since!  I believe the two [NFF] units were sent back to you guys.