Which XLS Model should I get?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crackers8199

crackers8199
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:34 AM

My speakers (Samson RS15) are rated at 225W RMS, 400W program, 8 ohm.  My intention was to get the XLS-402, but someone recently told me that wouldn't give me enough power...that I should get the 602 or 802 instead.  Which is correct?  What's the difference between RMS and program anyway?

#2 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(crackers8199 @ Jun 4 2006, 12:34 PM)
My speakers (Samson RS15) are rated at 225W RMS, 400W program, 8 ohm.  My intention was to get the XLS-402, but someone recently told me that wouldn't give me enough power...that I should get the 602 or 802 instead.  Which is correct?  What's the difference between RMS and program anyway?
View Post

Howdy,
  You should power your speakers with between 1.5 to 2X the speakers RMS / Continuous rating.
In your case your speakers are rated at 225 watts RMS at 8 ohms.
Therefore you should power your speakers with a Power amp rated between 240 to 500 watts at 8 ohms.
Read this: How Much power do I need.

You have many choices in a Crown Power amp that will fit that bill.
All the ratings below are at 8 ohms.

1) XLS 602D @ 380 Watts $499.99
2) XLS 802D @ 500 Watts $599.99

3) XS 500 @ 400 Watts $599.99
4) XS 700 @ 450 Watts $799.99

5) XTi 2000 @ 475 Watts $699.99 (with DSP)

All prices listed above give or take are easily found on the Web.

You did not give any particulars on your setup and usage of these Samson cabs.
So I do not know what to advise you to get.
However depending on your speaker management the XTi2000 is a good choice and also has Digital Signal Processing.
It is 200 dollars more than your cheapest choice but you know the old saying,
"You get what you pay for!" It could be a good choice for growth in the future.

If it was between the XLS602D and the XS500 I would personally go for the XS500.
I own a XS900 and I am very happy with it.

Anytime that you can make a choice to move up to a better peice of equipment as in a Power Amp, for 100 to 200 dollars and can afford it, go for it!
Also look at the different features between models and see if the features are worth the extra money to you.
Your choice will last a long time.
Think about future growth as well and where you plan on going from here.
Do you plan on keeping these speakers for a long time, do you have your eyes on some you will move up to later?
Are they rated at higher wattage requirements that would tell you to purchase a higher wattage amp now in the 500 / 600 watts category, so that when you move up to bigger speakers you will already have a Power Amp in place.

A lot to consider, choose wisely grasshopper! LOL!
Good luck,
      Bud

#3 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hi again,
Almost forgot, you asked:

What's the difference between RMS and program anyway?

RMS equals Continuous and Program is usually about twice the RMS / Continuous rating.
Peak is usually 4x the RMS / Continuous rating.

Hope that helps.

Later,
     Bud

#4 crackers8199

crackers8199
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

These are my speakers for the foreseeable future, I just shelled out $500 on this pair so I intend to keep them a while.   I play at mostly small bars and parties, so I don't need anything bigger, really...and the sound from the RS15s are better than I expected.  Everything is very clean, I just don't really have the amp to push them (right now I'm running them on a 200W amp, which does the job except for when I need to get loud).

I think I'm going to go with the XLS-602, but I'm still open to be swayed either way...LOL.  Trying to maximize my funding...the fact that I'm also trying to stretch this week's paycheck into a 15" active subwoofer (Samson EX500) is playing into my decision as well.