PZM Mic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 planter

planter
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:24 PM

Is pzm185 able to send sound via a video camera to remote participants viewing the webcam?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

The PZM-185 has a balanced XLR microphone connector. If the WEB cam can accept an external balanced mic than it should work. However most WEB cams I am familiar with don't use a balanced XLR connector they generally would have an 1/8" unbalanced mini connector. In this case the Sound Grabber II would be a better choice as it has an 1/8 unbalanced plug. smile.gif

#3 planter

planter
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. We are planning to install microphones in our Lab. The goal would be to allow us to accurately record sound for small group meetings and to be able to send sound via the video camera to remote participants viewing the webcam.

The lab is about 25' by 30', with the ceiling height about 11'. I am wondering if we need a pair of these mics or one is enough for a room with this size. If we need a pair, I guess we need some mixer too. Any suggestions on that?

If we buy a pair, can we install them in different locations in the room? for example, can I install one on the wall while the other one on the table? Thanks.

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(planter @ May 26 2006, 02:54 PM)
Thanks for your quick reply. We are planning to install microphones in our Lab. The goal would be to allow us to accurately record sound for small group meetings and to be able to send sound via the video camera to remote participants viewing the webcam.

The lab is about 25' by 30', with the ceiling height about 11'. I am wondering if we need a pair of these mics or one is enough for a room with this size. If we need a pair, I guess we need some mixer too. Any suggestions on that?

If we buy a pair, can we install them in different locations in the room? for example, can I install one on the wall while the other one on the table? Thanks.
View Post

A room 25x30 would probably need at least two microphones if not three for this application..

You would probably want one to two on the table for the more direct sound pickup of the people around the table. One on the ceiling of the room could be used as a room ambience pickup as well as to pickup anyone who might wander from the table.
You would need a mixer maybe even an automated mixer so you wouldn't need to change levels manually.

#5 planter

planter
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Any suggestions on the mixer that will go well with the sound grabber II?

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(planter @ May 26 2006, 03:39 PM)
Any suggestions on the mixer that will go well with the sound grabber II?
View Post

There are lots of good mixers out there with all different types of features, manufactured by many different manufactures and sold at varying prices. One such company is our sister company Soundcraft.
This is some investigating you will need to do on your own for your requirements  sorry...
Our automated mixer, however, is sold through one of our other sister companies BSS and is the PS_8810.
Automated mixers have the advantage in that once properly set they need no attention and no one can accidentally turn down a channel.