INPUT ''Y''

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GALLININ

GALLININ
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

HI EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!  FROM OUTPUTS 5 AND 6 ( DBX 260 ) TO INPUTS CH1 AND CH2 ( MA9000i IN DUAL MODE ) , TWO SRX728S ( LEFT AND RIGHT ) IS CONFIGURED , BUT I WANT BOTH CHANNELS 1 AND 2 TO FEED EACH SUB.  IF I LINKED WITH AN '' Y '' CABLE, OUTPUTS 5 AND 6 ( DBX 260 ) TO RUN ONE CABLE TO THE INPUT CH1 OF THE 9000i AND SELECT INPUT  '' Y '' AT THE AMP , IS O.K.  ?    ARE THE CH2 SPEAKON SPEAKER OUT ON THE 9000i IS GOING TO WORK OR NOT SO IS THE CH2 ATT LEVEL KNOB ? OR THE CH1 LEVEL KNOB DO THE WORK FOR BOTH ? THANK YOU VERY MUCH .

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(GALLININ @ Jan 26 2012, 12:04 AM) View Post
HI EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!  FROM OUTPUTS 5 AND 6 ( DBX 260 ) TO INPUTS CH1 AND CH2 ( MA9000i IN DUAL MODE ) , TWO SRX728S ( LEFT AND RIGHT ) IS CONFIGURED , BUT I WANT BOTH CHANNELS 1 AND 2 TO FEED EACH SUB.  IF I LINKED WITH AN '' Y '' CABLE, OUTPUTS 5 AND 6 ( DBX 260 ) TO RUN ONE CABLE TO THE INPUT CH1 OF THE 9000i AND SELECT INPUT  '' Y '' AT THE AMP , IS O.K.  ?    ARE THE CH2 SPEAKON SPEAKER OUT ON THE 9000i IS GOING TO WORK OR NOT SO IS THE CH2 ATT LEVEL KNOB ? OR THE CH1 LEVEL KNOB DO THE WORK FOR BOTH ? THANK YOU VERY MUCH .

In Y Mode, the amp takes the signal from channel 1 and puts it into both channels of the amp, this way only the volume control knob of channel one controls the volume of the whole amp. Output is on both speakons. If you need both channels (5 and 6) then Y Mode is not for you... What you need to do is use signal summing for channels 5 and 6 on the DR260 (you have this feature), now it doesn't matter if the amp is on dual mode (stereo) or Y Mode.

#3 GALLININ

GALLININ
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ Jan 26 2012, 10:59 AM) View Post

In Y Mode, the amp takes the signal from channel 1 and puts it into both channels of the amp, this way only the volume control knob of channel one controls the volume of the whole amp. Output is on both speakons. If you need both channels (5 and 6) then Y Mode is not for you... What you need to do is use signal summing for channels 5 and 6 on the DR260 (you have this feature), now it doesn't matter if the amp is on dual mode (stereo) or Y Mode.

THANK YOU DAKOS , I'M GOING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO SUMM THE SIGNALS ON THE DR260 BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE THE EASIEST AND LOGICAL WAY .

I'M  NO EXPERT AT ALL , AND I'M GOING TO PLAY WITH THE DR260 TO SEE IF I CAN DO THE CHANGES .

NOW ( THANKS TO YOU , AND THIS FORUM )  I KNOW WHAT AN INPUT '' Y '' , DOES .

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Mctwins

Mctwins

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Hi

I have the 260 and MAi. Make either output 5 or 6 to mono out on 260 and feed that to ch1 on MAi  with Y selected and you are done.

Thanks

#5 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE(GALLININ @ Jan 26 2012, 08:48 PM) View Post
THANK YOU DAKOS , I'M GOING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO SUMM THE SIGNALS ON THE DR260 BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE THE EASIEST AND LOGICAL WAY.

I'M A NO EXPERT AT ALL , AND I'M GOING TO PLAY WITH THE DR260 TO SEE IF I CAN DO THE CHANGES.

NOW (THANKS TO YOU , AND THIS FORUM)  I KNOW WHAT AN INPUT ''Y'', DOES.

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!
Working in mono on the DR takes the signal from channel A or B, not both, so the sound is not going to be as good as summing both signals (A+B mode on the DR260 crossover).
You can get allot of help on the DBX forum about how to configure everything, this is one of the most basic configurations.

Just to understand better, are you Bi or Tri amping?

#6 Mctwins

Mctwins

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Jan 27 2012, 04:00 AM) View Post
THANK YOU DAKOS , I'M GOING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO SUMM THE SIGNALS ON THE DR260 BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE THE EASIEST AND LOGICAL WAY.

I'M A NO EXPERT AT ALL , AND I'M GOING TO PLAY WITH THE DR260 TO SEE IF I CAN DO THE CHANGES.

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!
Working in mono on the DR takes the signal from channel A or B, not both, so the sound is not going to be as good as summing both signals (A+B mode on the DR260 crossover).
You can get allot of help on the DBX forum about how to configure everything, this is one of the most basic configurations.

Sorry dakos, you are wrong. Either use the outputs or not. There is no sum of outputs from 260 only mono or stereo. I have connected output 1 mono from 260 to ch1 on MAi and Y mode out to my two subs. But what do I know. smile.gif

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE(Mctwins @ Jan 27 2012, 04:32 AM) View Post
Sorry dakos, you are wrong. Either use the outputs or not. There is no sum of outputs from 260 only mono or stereo. I have connected output 1 mono from 260 to ch1 on MAi and Y mode out to my two subs. But what do I know. smile.gif
Sure it doe's, look at Section 3, configuration functions, DR260 Manual(Page 25):
"You are now in the Crossover module. The upper left-hand corner of the display indicates what Crossover type is currently selected. Rotate the DATA wheel to select
the Crossover type. The letters ‘A’ or ‘B’ to the left of the crossover indicate a mono crossover, ‘A+B’ indicates a mono summed crossover, and the letters ‘ST” indicate a stereo crossover. Pressing and then rotating the DATA wheel lets you select the route path (i.e. which inputs will be routed to the selected Crossover module). You can route either Input A, Input B or a sum of the Inputs (A+cool.gif to any mono input crossover. As previously mentioned, a stereo crossover selection is indicated with the letters ‘ST’ (use this selection when you want to use a stereo in/stereo out configuration). Use the PREV PG and NEXT PG buttons to move through Outputs 1-6, configuring Crossover modules as necessary, and then to the next module screen which will appear something like this:"

It's also mentioned in section 4.11. Look it up...

#8 Mctwins

Mctwins

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

Ok, I will look into it.

But I have checked via GUI snd using wizard and there is sure no indication if it is A+B, stereo or A and B, only what output you want, stereo or mono if using the presets or custom.

If one is using JRX speakers and crown amps via presets, and have mono sub and two tops. Then it is stereo in and stereo out to the tops and mono out to sub. How do I know if it is A+B stereo or A and B for the subs???

I will check via panel off course.

Thanks

#9 GALLININ

GALLININ
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Jan 27 2012, 05:00 AM) View Post

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A TRI AMP SETTING . BUT I WOULD LIKE TO RUN THE TOPS (BI-AMPLIFIED SRX725 ) IN STEREO , AND THE SUBS ( SRX728S ) IN MONO .

THE ONLY THING I DID TO  THE DR260 , WAS TO SETUP THE WIZARD WITH JBL AND CROWN COMPONENTS . THE SYSTEM CONSIST OF :

1-DBX 260
               1-XTi 1000 ( FOR HIGH )
               1-MA5000i ( FOR MID )
               1-MA9000i ( FOR SUB )
               2-JBL SRX725
               2-JBL SRX728S

I PLAY  RECORDED MUSIC ( ELECTRO HOUSE ) AND THE SYSTEM REALLY , REALLY SOUND VERY HARD AND CLEAN . THE LOW FREQUENCIES  , MAKE

EVERYTHING TO WALK IN A BIG AREA , AND I WAS VERY PLEASSED UNTIL SOMEONE CAME ALONG AND TOLD ME THAT IF I CHANGE THE SUBS TO MONO I 'LL NOTICED

A DIFFERENCE . I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO TRIED .

#10 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(GALLININ @ Jan 27 2012, 10:53 AM) View Post
THIS IS A TRI AMP SETTING . BUT I WOULD LIKE TO RUN THE TOPS (BI-AMPLIFIED SRX725) IN STEREO , AND THE SUBS (SRX728S) IN MONO .
THE ONLY THING I DID TO  THE DR260 , WAS TO SETUP THE WIZARD WITH JBL AND CROWN COMPONENTS . THE SYSTEM CONSIST OF:
1-DR260
1-XTi 1000 (FOR HIGH)
1-MA5000i (FOR MID)
1-MA9000i (FOR SUB)
2-JBL SRX725
2-JBL SRX728S

I PLAY  RECORDED MUSIC (ELECTRO HOUSE) AND THE SYSTEM REALLY, REALLY SOUND VERY HARD AND CLEAN. THE LOW FREQUENCIES, MAKE EVERYTHING TO WALK IN A BIG AREA , AND I WAS VERY PLEASSED UNTIL SOMEONE CAME ALONG AND TOLD ME THAT IF I CHANGE THE SUBS TO MONO I'LL NOTICE A DIFERENCE. I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO TRIED.
If you were working in stereo, then you will notice a difference, more notably in sound quality rather then pure SPL.

Iv'e posted a question for you on DBX Forums.

#11 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

And we already have an answer from "gadget":
"Simply go to the wizard, select JBL SRX725 bi-amp for tops, select JBL SRX728 for subs. The amps you might as well choose "custom" and then go here and do a gain structure:
http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959
That should get you started."

#12 Mctwins

Mctwins

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Jan 26 2012, 09:59 AM) View Post

I totally missed this one. In Y mode on MAi you put the cable to ch1 and you CAN adjust the knobs independently. I think you are refering to bridge config.

Thanks

#13 Mctwins

Mctwins

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Jan 27 2012, 11:57 AM) View Post
And we already have an answer from "gadget":
"Simply go to the wizard, select JBL SRX725 bi-amp for tops, select JBL SRX728 for subs. The amps you might as well choose "custom" and then go here and do a gain structure:
http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959
That should get you started."

I allready gave the answer.

Thanks

#14 Mctwins

Mctwins

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Jan 27 2012, 11:29 AM) View Post
THIS IS A TRI AMP SETTING . BUT I WOULD LIKE TO RUN THE TOPS (BI-AMPLIFIED SRX725) IN STEREO , AND THE SUBS (SRX728S) IN MONO .
THE ONLY THING I DID TO  THE DR260 , WAS TO SETUP THE WIZARD WITH JBL AND CROWN COMPONENTS . THE SYSTEM CONSIST OF:
1-DR260
1-XTi 1000 (FOR HIGH)
1-MA5000i (FOR MID)
1-MA9000i (FOR SUB)
2-JBL SRX725
2-JBL SRX728S

I PLAY  RECORDED MUSIC (ELECTRO HOUSE) AND THE SYSTEM REALLY, REALLY SOUND VERY HARD AND CLEAN. THE LOW FREQUENCIES, MAKE EVERYTHING TO WALK IN A BIG AREA , AND I WAS VERY PLEASSED UNTIL SOMEONE CAME ALONG AND TOLD ME THAT IF I CHANGE THE SUBS TO MONO I'LL NOTICE A DIFERENCE. I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO TRIED.
If you were working in stereo, then you will notice a difference, more notably in sound quality rather then pure SPL.

The big question here is where the subs are placed. The tops on the subs left and right or subs together in the middle to take advantage of mutual coupling. The OP have to give the right info about the setup.

Thanks

Thanks

#15 GALLININ

GALLININ
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE(Mctwins @ Jan 28 2012, 09:37 AM) View Post
QUOTE(dakos @ Jan 27 2012, 11:29 AM) View Post
1-DR260
1-XTi 1000 (FOR HIGH)
1-MA5000i (FOR MID)
1-MA9000i (FOR SUB)
2-JBL SRX725
2-JBL SRX728S

The big question here is where the subs are placed. The tops on the subs left and right or subs together in the middle to take advantage of mutual coupling. The OP have to give the right info about the setup.

Thanks

Thanks

Hi 'Mctwins' , the subs are placed together in the middle and one top left , the other right . I'm running  a 2X6 stereo setup at the dr260 .

I'm planning later today to play with the DR260 . I was reading the article from the link ( DBX FORUM )( DAKOS did me the favor ) and

I think that the input on outputs 5 and 6 can be summ A+B for each output . So, this is what I'm thinking to do :

- output 1 ( high left ) : channel A
               - output 2 (high right) : channel B
               - output 3 ( low left )  : channel A
               - output 4 (low right)  : channel B
               - output 5 ( sub left )  : channel A+B
               - output 6 (sub right)  : channel A+B

I 'll write to you later to tell you if I did it or not .