XTi 2000 Need help with channel configuration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

I have an Xti 2000 amp feeding 2 JBL EON 1500 Speakers.  The problem I have and have been trying to figure out is to properly configure channel 1 and channel 2 so that when I play older songs such as ACDC's All Night Long, there isn't an akward part at the beginning of the song where you can barely hear the guitar in the background.  It appears as if one of the channels is not coming in.  My setup is this.  I have a laptop, connected to a Numark DJ IO Sound Card.  From there, 2 RCAs connect to my beringer mixer.  From the mixer, there are 2 RCA's connecting to the XTi 2000.  

The connection between the mixer and the amp is setup as follows.  I had to use an RCA 2 - 1 XLR adapter.  Then, it plugs into another XLR connection which then splits the connection into channel 1 and channel 2 of the amp.  My amp is setup with Input mode of Stereo, Output mode is Dual.  When I mess around with the balance on my mixer, I can clearly tell that one of the channels is not working.  Could this be because of how the connection between the mixer and amp is setup, with the RCA to XLR Y input cable, which then plugs into another XLR Y output cable that connects to the amp?  Hopefully this makes some sense.

Thanks!

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(Rubes1520 @ Dec 12 2011, 10:33 PM) View Post
I have an Xti 2000 amp feeding 2 JBL EON 1500 Speakers.  The problem I have and have been trying to figure out is to properly configure channel 1 and channel 2 so that when I play older songs such as ACDC's All Night Long, there isn't an akward part at the beginning of the song where you can barely hear the guitar in the background.  It appears as if one of the channels is not coming in.  My setup is this.  I have a laptop, connected to a Numark DJ IO Sound Card.  From there, 2 RCAs connect to my beringer mixer.  From the mixer, there are 2 RCA's connecting to the XTi 2000.  

The connection between the mixer and the amp is setup as follows.  I had to use an RCA 2 - 1 XLR adapter.  Then, it plugs into another XLR connection which then splits the connection into channel 1 and channel 2 of the amp.  My amp is setup with Input mode of Stereo, Output mode is Dual.  When I mess around with the balance on my mixer, I can clearly tell that one of the channels is not working.  Could this be because of how the connection between the mixer and amp is setup, with the RCA to XLR Y input cable, which then plugs into another XLR Y output cable that connects to the amp?  Hopefully this makes some sense.

Thanks!

You are saying that both speakers work but when you play the balance knob on the mixer, only one channel is fed to the amp?

If so then it's clearly a Y cable problem, I would highly recomend you buy cables such as these or these or some other brand of "Male RCA to Male XLR" cables. Also note that you need one cable per channel.

As a general rule, use as few connectors, Y cables and adapters as possible, use only cable that suits your specific needs otherwise you're looking for trouble!!!

#3 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Thanks!  Since I already have good rca cables, I just ended up getting 2  female RCA to male XLR adapters, one for each RCA cable.  When they come in I'll reply to this post with the outcome.

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(Rubes1520 @ Dec 13 2011, 09:26 AM) View Post
Thanks!  Since I already have good rca cables, I just ended up getting 2  female RCA to male XLR adapters, one for each RCA cable.  When they come in I'll reply to this post with the outcome.

These will solve your current problem but I seriosly suggest buying a one cable solution, no adapters, no Y connectors or any such thing. These are best kept for temporary situations that you need an emergency cable fix. No matter how good your RCA cables are, once you start putting adapters and such on them, you will get less quality and less durability then a simple, one cable solution.
All the best :-)

#5 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

So my problem got solved with the female RCA to Male XLR adapters.  No more Y-connections, system sounds alot better!  The balance knob on my mixer actually works properly!  Thanks!

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(Rubes1520 @ Dec 19 2011, 09:11 AM) View Post
So my problem got solved with the female RCA to Male XLR adapters.  No more Y-connections, system sounds alot better!  The balance knob on my mixer actually works properly!  Thanks!

Glad to help :-)