regards,
Kanwar

#2 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

This topic can get you many answers, and might be answered in other areas. But since you asked.

Crown uses Class I, and AB+B topologies. We do not use Class H.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#3 dannyavila

dannyavila
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:40 PM

Let's start by saying that this is a personal criteria:

Well, many pro guys use to say that the best class to power high freqs is AB. The reason, the power is in there all the time and the peak/transients involved in this freq area are too fast to make a class-H amp to react at time to activate the second (third...) voltage stage so the amp "cuts" (limits) the upper part of the sound due the lack of power and once the CLIP appears.

I should think that this concept is in the past and today's technology offers improved applications in the composed/mixed signal amplification area, but personally, I'm not ready to leave my highs on digital (D, I, TD, whatever class) amplifiers so I still trust in the MacroTech class-AB gear.

Of course, the amplifier quality has everything to do with this criteria. You won't expect the same sound accuracy coming out from a Crown amp in the sound produced by some Chichumazu amp.

The class H (AB + B) and Digital class (class D, TD, I) amps are more efficient to handle heavy loads at low impedances in the Low/Subs frequencies cause having dual or more stages power supplies, they use only the power that they need; less power wasting, less heath.

I hope you can find any use on these words.

Regards.

#4 Kanwar

Kanwar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(dannyavila @ Nov 24 2005, 08:10 AM)
Let's start by saying that this is a personal criteria:

Well, many pro guys use to say that the best class to power high freqs is AB. The reason, the power is in there all the time and the peak/transients involved in this freq area are too fast to make a class-H amp to react at time to activate the second (third...) voltage stage so the amp "cuts" (limits) the upper part of the sound due the lack of power and once the CLIP appears.

I should think that this concept is in the past and today's technology offers improved applications in the composed/mixed signal amplification area, but personally, I'm not ready to leave my highs on digital (D, I, TD, whatever class) amplifiers so I still trust in the MacroTech class-AB gear.

Of course, the amplifier quality has everything to do with this criteria. You won't expect the same sound accuracy coming out from a Crown amp in the sound produced by some Chichumazu amp.

The class H (AB + cool.gif and Digital class (class D, TD, I) amps are more efficient to handle heavy loads at low impedances in the Low/Subs frequencies cause having dual or more stages power supplies, they use only the power that they need; less power wasting, less heath.

I hope you can find any use on these words.

Regards.
View Post

Hi Danny,

Thanks, for the Vital information.....

Now I would rely on Class-AB amps only.....

regards,
K a n w a r

#5 crownsound

crownsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

IMO, Class AB outputs still sound the best!

And crown still makes amps utilizing Class AB circuitry! And they sound good.

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

To check out further information on amplifier topologies check out our "Crown Amplifier Technical Information" web page. smile.gif

#7 Danny

Danny
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Nov 29 2005, 03:47 PM)
To check out further information on amplifier topologies check out our "Crown Amplifier Technical Information" web page. smile.gif
View Post

What current crown amps utilize AB+B circuitry, and what type of output circuitry does the 3600vz use?

thank you,
Danny

#8 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Danny @ Nov 29 2005, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE(DGlass @ Nov 29 2005, 03:47 PM)
View Post

What current crown amps utilize AB+B circuitry, and what type of output circuitry does the 3600vz use?

thank you,
Danny
View Post

AB+B is used in our Grounded-Bridge amplifiers. Currently that would be the MacroTech 2402, the Macro-Tech 3600vz and the MacroTech 5002vz. The MA series also all use a linear power supply.
The XLS uses an AB output with a linear power supply and the XS uses an AB output with a pseudo Class H power supply.