hardwired CM-311 with phantom power

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddrum

ddrum
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

I am a singing drummer and have borrowed a CM-311 to compare it to the headworn mike I am currently using.  My current mike is hardwired to an XLR plug and connects right to the snake.  I like the performance of the CM311 but don't want all the electronics for the wireless capability.  Is there a way to use this mic hardwired and take advantage of my phantom power so I do not need a battery?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

The CM311 microphone comes in two versions.

One is the CM311A this has a belt pack with an XLR connector on it that you plug into a mic cable. The belt pack has all the mic electonics (since it is a condenser mic) and a Push button.  The Push Button can be programmed to operate in one of three modes  On/off, Push to Talk or Push to Mute. The belt pack model also has a battery compartment. If the microphone is connected to a mic line, that has phantom power, there is no need to have a battery installed as the mic will be powered off of the phantom. The 9v battery is only needed for mic lines that do not have phantom power.

The other version is the CM311AE this model comes for use with wireless transmitters and has a miniture electronics module in line on the cable. The cable end is then terminated for the transmitter it is to be used with. This model cannot be directly plugged into mic line with phantom power or it will be damaged.

Note: The very original version was the CM311 and it had a mini jack that would allow it to be plugged into a wireless tramsmitter. Because you needed both the transmitter pack and the mic pack it was discontinued.

#3 ddrum

ddrum
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(ddrum @ Mar 7 2008, 11:08 AM) View Post
I am a singing drummer and have borrowed a CM-311 to compare it to the headworn mike I am currently using.  My current mike is hardwired to an XLR plug and connects right to the snake.  I like the performance of the CM311 but don't want all the electronics for the wireless capability.  Is there a way to use this mic hardwired and take advantage of my phantom power so I do not need a battery?

Great info, thanks.  I will consider the 311A.  Is the mic boom only available on he right side?

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(ddrum @ Mar 7 2008, 03:24 PM) View Post
QUOTE(ddrum @ Mar 7 2008, 11:08 AM) View Post

Great info, thanks.  I will consider the 311A.  Is the mic boom only available on he right side?

Yes, it is only avaiable on the right side. Years ago we used to have a left hand headpiece but it was discontinued years ago because there was only a few sold.
Sorry... none are left. sad.gif