Ma2402 in parallel mono?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roburn

roburn
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

Hi I have tried to read and find out and must be overlooking it somehere. I read how to hook my 2402 in parallel mono with the jumper wire between the red posts and hooking the speaker up on the red/black post and channel 2 turned down. If i am hooking 2 speakers onto the back of the amp do they both go into channel one's speaker outputs-(piggy back bannana plugs) or would one go into channel one and one into channel 2 speaker outputs ? What is the power output (watts)this way running 2 - 4 ohm cabinets  and is this a no-no!? One other scenario--running a mono sub signal into channel one and running a 1/4 to xlr balanced cable from channel one to channel two and running two 4ohm cabinets this way with channel one and two knobs both being used on the front and hooking one speaker on channel speaker output and one speaker on channel 2 output witht the amp in stereo mode, What is the power output(watts) this way? is this another no-no? I have a friend who has been running his this way for awhile now on 2 jbl sr4719x's???

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:17 PM

blink.gif
Parrallel Mono is a special mode some of our amplifiers can use. In this mode both sides of the amplifier are combined to create a larger MONO amplifier. Unlike Bridge-Mono were one side is out of polarity with the other to get twice the voltage swing (Sort of a Push me pull you).....  In Parrallel-Mono both sides are pushing at the same time. So with the jumper accross the two positive outputs the amplifiers diliver twice the curren to a load. This is mainly used on low impedance-high current loads like subs.
When set for Parrallel_Mono and the jumper is in place all the output jacks are the same output as they are combined. The Channel One input and level controls are the only ones that work however.
In Parrallel-Mono the MA2402 is rated for 1035 watts with a 4-ohm load, 1605 watts with a 2-ohm load and 2080 watts with a 1-ohm load.

#3 roburn

roburn
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Oct 24 2005, 03:17 PM)
blink.gif
Parrallel Mono is a special mode some of our amplifiers can use. In this mode both sides of the amplifier are combined to create a larger MONO amplifier. Unlike Bridge-Mono were one side is out of polarity with the other to get twice the voltage swing (Sort of a Push me pull you).....  In Parrallel-Mono both sides are pushing at the same time. So with the jumper accross the two positive outputs the amplifiers diliver twice the curren to a load. This is mainly used on low impedance-high current loads like subs.
When set for Parrallel_Mono and the jumper is in place all the output jacks are the same output as they are combined. The Channel One input and level controls are the only ones that work however.
In Parrallel-Mono the MA2402 is rated for 1035 watts with a 4-ohm load, 1605 watts with a 2-ohm load and 2080 watts with a 1-ohm load.
View Post

Thanks so much for your reply and help! I understand now. What then does running the amp in stereo mode do with a 1/4" to xlr jumper between the out of channel one into the in of channel two do? With a 4ohm cabinet on channel one speaker output and a 4ohm cabinet on channel 2 speaker output is this a 2ohm load with both channels of the amp driving the load? Or is this the same as running a stereo out? It's still a mono signal into channel one and then the cable out of 1 into channel 2 in.  Is there a power advantage or disadvantge to this--This will clear everything up for me! I promise!

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:02 AM

[/quote]
Thanks so much for your reply and help! I understand now. What then does running the amp in stereo mode do with a 1/4" to xlr jumper between the out of channel one into the in of channel two do? With a 4ohm cabinet on channel one speaker output and a 4ohm cabinet on channel 2 speaker output is this a 2ohm load with both channels of the amp driving the load? Or is this the same as running a stereo out? It's still a mono signal into channel one and then the cable out of 1 into channel 2 in.  Is there a power advantage or disadvantge to this--This will clear everything up for me! I promise!
View Post
[/quote]
I am asuming that you mean you are jumpering the Channel 1 input to the Channel 2 input with the XLR to a TRS 1/4" jumper with the amp in stereo mode. This would be similar to stereo mode except you would have a 2 channel amp being fed the same input to both channels. Each channel would have a 4-ohm load attached with independant channel level controls.
It is also the same thing as putting a "Y" cable on the inputs.
The output would be the same as for a 4-ohm stereo load as Stereo mode is nothing more than just a 2 channel amplifer with seperate inputs. (800 watts at 4-ohms/ch)