• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Gale

Adam Gale
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hi Guys,

I recently bought my first crown amp and have been playing around with the presets on it. When I put it onto Brg Subs though I am a bit confused. I run my xlr inputs as normal into channel 1 & 2 then set the amp onto Brg Subs. I then connect a speaker cable from output 1 and connect it to my sub which is 4 ohms.

My confusion is on the front panel. I have seen some guys only turn the channel 1 knob onto full and leave channel2 down when running brg mono but when I turn them both up I get way more volume as opposed to just having 1 turned up. Also if I disconnect the speaker cable from output 1 and connect it to output 2 it plays the same volume through that channel. This confuses me as I always thought the 2 channels become 1 and the power should just come out through output 1?

Should I turn both volume controls on full when running brg subs or just the left channel as I have seen other guys do?

I have noticed I also have the power set full on the amp and on my mixer I can quite easily go up past half on the master volume which seems high considering my sub is only
rated at 600watts and I know the xti is pushing 3200w at 4 ohms?

Can anyone please give me some advice?

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(Adam Gale @ Feb 19 2012, 12:51 PM) View Post
Hi Guys,

I recently bought my first crown amp and have been playing around with the presets on it. When I put it onto Brg Subs though I am a bit confused. I run my xlr inputs as normal into channel 1 & 2 then set the amp onto Brg Subs. I then connect a speaker cable from output 1 and connect it to my sub which is 4 ohms.

My confusion is on the front panel. I have seen some guys only turn the channel 1 knob onto full and leave channel2 down when running brg mono but when I turn them both up I get way more volume as opposed to just having 1 turned up. Also if I disconnect the speaker cable from output 1 and connect it to output 2 it plays the same volume through that channel. This confuses me as I always thought the 2 channels become 1 and the power should just come out through output 1?

Should I turn both volume controls on full when running brg subs or just the left channel as I have seen other guys do?

I have noticed I also have the power set full on the amp and on my mixer I can quite easily go up past half on the master volume which seems high considering my sub is only

Did you connect the speakon via the alternate bridge mode wiring?

#3 Adam Gale

Adam Gale
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 19 2012, 08:03 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Adam Gale @ Feb 19 2012, 12:51 PM) View Post
Hi Guys,

Did you connect the speakon via the alternate bridge mode wiring?

I didn't, I just used one of my off the shelf speaker cables that I use for all my speakers. Should the speakons be wired differently?

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Oh yah...

Look at the manual, section 2.6.2 (sorry, older XTI manual) so it's on page 5, and I quote:
"b. If using a SpeakonŽ connector, connect the positive terminal of the speaker to 1+ and the negative terminal to 2+. Plug the connector into the Channel 1 output only."

#5 Adam Gale

Adam Gale
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 20 2012, 02:59 PM) View Post
Oh yah...

Look at the manual, section 2.6.2 (sorry, older XTI manual) so it's on page 5, and I quote:
"b. If using a SpeakonŽ connector, connect the positive terminal of the speaker to 1+ and the negative terminal to 2+. Plug the connector into the Channel 1 output only."

Ok Will do so, thanks for the advice!

#6 Adam Gale

Adam Gale
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(Adam Gale @ Feb 20 2012, 05:52 PM) View Post
Oh yah...

I have set it up and it works great thanks Dakos, one thing I am still unsure of though, when I turn up volume know 1 and 2 it is way louder than just turning up number 1. I'm guessing because the inputs go into chanel 1 and 2 that the volume controls should both be up?

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Adam Gale @ Mar 5 2012, 01:07 PM) View Post
Oh yah...

I have set it up and it works great thanks Dakos, one thing I am still unsure of though, when I turn up volume know 1 and 2 it is way louder than just turning up number 1. I'm guessing because the inputs go into chanel 1 and 2 that the volume controls should both be up?

This operation is mentioned only in the older XTIs so I'm not sure if the newer XTIs share this mode of operation but let's check your settings, What settings do you have on the DSP? did you set the "Input Mode" to something? Did you set anything other then "BRIDGE" mode on the DSP? Do you have an external signal processor?

#8 Adam Gale

Adam Gale
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Mar 5 2012, 08:38 PM) View Post
Oh yah...

This operation is mentioned only in the older XTIs so I'm not sure if the newer XTIs share this mode of operation but let's check your settings, What settings do you have on the DSP? did you set the "Input Mode" to something? Did you set anything other then "BRIDGE" mode on the DSP? Do you have an external signal processor?

Ok I basically use one of the "presets" which is brg subs. From what I can see there are no settings for "input mode" I am not using any other processors, basically coming straight out from my mixer and into the amp (input 1 and 2) as the manual says. It then says in the manual that the amp will automatically combine both input signals and run in bridge.

One thing I did notice is that if I connect my speaker to output 2 nothing comes out that chanel, so I know for sure it is running in bridge because power is only coming out of chanel 1 output. It is just a first for me as with any other amps I have used in brg mono you would only turn up your channel 1 volume knob on the front panel. The only conclusion I can come to is that seeing as though it is receiving signal from both input 1 and 2 and then combining then into 1 output is that perhaps these amps are designed to run in brg mono but with both volume knobs turned up on the front panel?

#9 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE(Adam Gale @ Mar 6 2012, 03:28 AM) View Post
Oh yah...

Ok I basically use one of the "presets" which is brg subs. From what I can see there are no settings for "input mode" I am not using any other processors, basically coming straight out from my mixer and into the amp (input 1 and 2) as the manual says. It then says in the manual that the amp will automatically combine both input signals and run in bridge.

One thing I did notice is that if I connect my speaker to output 2 nothing comes out that chanel, so I know for sure it is running in bridge because power is only coming out of chanel 1 output. It is just a first for me as with any other amps I have used in brg mono you would only turn up your channel 1 volume knob on the front panel. The only conclusion I can come to is that seeing as though it is receiving signal from both input 1 and 2 and then combining then into 1 output is that perhaps these amps are designed to run in brg mono but with both volume knobs turned up on the front panel?
It sounds like your conclusion is correct, the next time I run my rig I'll try to varify this.

#10 Adam Gale

Adam Gale
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Mar 6 2012, 10:53 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Adam Gale @ Mar 6 2012, 03:28 AM) View Post
Oh yah...

It sounds like your conclusion is correct, the next time I run my rig I'll try to varify this.

Great thanks, and thanks for all the advice!