Older VS Newer CE2000 issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1001US

1001US
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:53 AM

Allright, well last I posted I had two crown XLS 602's attempting to get 4 ohms mono bridged from them. I returned one, and upgraded it to a CE2000, as I already had owned one for a few years now. The new CE2000 delivers AMAZING bass! I'm quite happy with the results I get with it. However, it's the older CE2000 that I'm having issues with.

Right off the bat I noticed the newer CE2000 is black... and the older one is grey. The new one has a switch for both input voltage and for the mono/stereo setting, while the old one only has a mono/stereo switch.

Now, here's where my issue comes up. I attempted the same 4 ohm load on both amplifiers, run in mono. The older amplifier will run into clipping LONG before the newer model. A full 10db of gain before the newer amplifier off of my dbx crossover.

The older amplifier however, seems to be functioning fine... it works great for my mids, and still delivers decent bass up until clip, but it surely is not even close to what I'm getting out of the newer CE2000.

So, I'm wondering if it's one of two things... if it's that the switch may be defective to switch from stereo to mono... (although, I suppose it wouldn't reproduce bass right than when wired would it?) or if maybe it has something to do with the voltage switch? Maybe the older model CE2000's are inferior to the new ones?

The main thing I am posting here for is a for what you would do to test the switch with a multimeter to make sure it's working (I'm past waranty on this amp). Is there a way to test if the switch is moving the amplifier over to mono thats easier perhaps?  Is there anything I should know thats changed between the older model and the nwe model?

Maybe you guys will be really nice and just let me ship in the old one for a new one, cause I've bought so many of your products, and come tax return I'm probably going to buy more smile.gif

#2 1001US

1001US
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:52 AM

Okay and I just discovered an entirely new issue, that really makes this ridiculously complex...

The amplifier says CE2000 on the front, and on the original recipt from guitar center.

Today, while looking it all over, I was vaccuming it out from all the dust it collected over this years outdoor season, and noticed something. Right next to the place where the plug goes into the amplifier... it said CE1000, rate at 400 watts at 8 ohms yada yada.

So um... is this really a CE1000 maybe? Could I submit a serial from the back to check it or something? This really is funky...

Just incase guitar centere hussled me years ago... I'll post the serial. As best as I can tell it's this number, which has a serial code right next to it on a sticker still on the back of the amplifier:

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(1001US @ Nov 18 2005, 04:52 AM)
Okay and I just discovered an entirely new issue, that really makes this ridiculously complex...

The amplifier says CE2000 on the front, and on the original recipt from guitar center.

Today, while looking it all over, I was vaccuming it out from all the dust it collected over this years outdoor season, and noticed something. Right next to the place where the plug goes into the amplifier... it said CE1000, rate at 400 watts at 8 ohms yada yada.

So um... is this really a CE1000 maybe? Could I submit a serial from the back to check it or something? This really is funky...

Just incase guitar centere hussled me years ago... I'll post the serial. As best as I can tell it's this number, which has a serial code right next to it on a sticker still on the back of the amplifier:

View Post

That serial number comes up as a CE1000.
This is not to say that Guitar Center cheated you. It could be also one of the extremely rare occurrences were the amp was mislabeled from the factory.

#4 Bob007

Bob007
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Nov 18 2005, 10:23 AM)

View Post

This is not to say that Guitar Center cheated you. It could be also one of the extremely rare occurrences were the amp was mislabeled from the factory.
View Post

Question about serial numbers.  I see that some CE2000s start with an A and others start with a B.  Is there a reason for this?   Thanks, Bob  unsure.gif

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Bob007 @ Nov 18 2005, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE(DGlass @ Nov 18 2005, 10:23 AM)

View Post

View Post

Question about serial numbers.  I see that some CE2000s start with an A and others start with a B.  Is there a reason for this?   Thanks, Bob  unsure.gif
View Post

Over time as modifications are made in production and modifications are made inside the amplifiers we will need to signify what series a product is. To do this we will add a serial number designator like an "A" then a "B" then a "C" etcetera.

#6 1001US

1001US
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Nov 18 2005, 09:23 AM)
View Post

Ok well I have pictures I can provide of the internals of the two different amps... which probably also voids the warranty on my newer CE2000 (DOH!) but it very distinctively has the front CE2000 decal, and on the original recipt, it says CE2000... but on the back plate it says CE1000, and the visual difference is blatantly obvious. This would also explain why I am getting drastically less power than the other amplifier.

So, is there anything I can do? Will you guys honor a replacement or swap for this amplifier despite it's age? It's a great amp, but I started to use it for the purposes of bridged mono and than discovered it was infact only a CE1000?

This amp was purchased on 8-16-01... so it's over five years old, and I just now discovered the issue. Previous to this I'd been running it stereo, and just assuming the amp clipped out easy. I have now discovered that it is infact a mislabeled amplifier.

#7 1001US

1001US
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:10 PM

Just called my friend who is now the assistant manager of Guitar Center in beaverton. Went over the scenario. The amplifier was sold as a CE2000 per the sales recipt, he says I am supposed to work with you regarding this as there was nothing guitar center reps could have done, as it was probably placed in the wrong box as well.

I have the original recipt which states CE2000, and the serial that was scanned is identical to that of the amplifier.

Perhaps we should move this discussion to email?

#8 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE(1001US @ Nov 18 2005, 05:10 PM)
Just called my friend who is now the assistant manager of Guitar Center in beaverton. Went over the scenario. The amplifier was sold as a CE2000 per the sales recipt, he says I am supposed to work with you regarding this as there was nothing guitar center reps could have done, as it was probably placed in the wrong box as well.

I have the original recipt which states CE2000, and the serial that was scanned is identical to that of the amplifier.

Perhaps we should move this discussion to email?
View Post

I have talked to the head of National Sales and she says we will take care of it.  smile.gif If you Email me your shipping and email addresses to dglass@crownintl.com (do not post in personnel info on the open forum) we will get you a replacement. After I get your info I will also have UPS issue you a prepaid shipping label, via email, for the return of the original. The return shipping label will be good for downloading for 10 days and good for shipping for 30 days. Once you have the new amp- box up the old one in the new amps box, stick on the UPS return label and take it to your nearest UPS. smile.gif
I will be out of the office, starting tomorrow, until next Monday so if you get the info to me today I can get the paperwork done before I leave for the holiday.

#9 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:35 PM

Now that's what I call Service, and why ALL my amps
are Crown!

#10 1001US

1001US
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:28 PM

Word em up. Aside from the XLS (which I'm over) there's a reason why I only use crown as well.

#11 Bob007

Bob007
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(1001US @ Nov 23 2005, 09:28 PM)

Word em up. Aside from the XLS (which I'm over) there's a reason why I only use crown as well. 
View Post

biggrin.gif I too have had service issues handled by Crown in a manner that was second to none, truly world class.  Anyone serious about audio would be making a SERIOUS mistake running any other brand.   I suspect not many have ever had a need to use Crown's service facility due to the quality, but if you ever do you will be amazed.
Bob