11 replies to this topic

#1 crownsound

crownsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:33 PM

I have a question about the advanced features of I Tech amps. I see you can dial the amp back, to be basically whatever power level you need it to be. Since I am seriously considering purchasing I techs to run the woofers in my system, can you tell me how this feature works? If I set an I Tech 4000 to output 1200wpc@4ohms, is that just a digital limiter which begins to attenuate the input signal once it reaches threshold, or are you actually able to set the available amount of output power from the amplifier?

I wish I could get a demo of one amp on 1 set of my fifteens, to hear in my room, so I know what its all about!

I will say I have heard these amps demoed in store, as well as some installs, some being better than others, some being eh!

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:24 AM

The Average Power Limiter allows you to dial back the "Average Power" of the amplifier. The limiter circuit does this by looking at the Output Voltage and Current and should these fall outside the "Average Power Limiter's" parameters then the circuit will adjust back the input thus controlling the "Average Power" output of the amplifier.

#3 crownsound

crownsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

So it is in fact a limiter function, and the amp is always a 2000wpc@4ohm amp, regardless?

I am looking at the I Tech 4000 for my system, in multiples of course, I have heard the amp, been impressed by two of the demos I have heard, and left unmoved by some other demos!

So I kind of feel what you get out of the amp is determined by the individual system, its setup and tuning, etc!

Just to let you know, I waited many months, so I could ask those I know using them since they came out, if they are reliable! The Man in the Field has some good things to say!

#4 rezsbc

rezsbc

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:02 AM

Should the average power limiter be set to the combined RMS ratings of all the boxes on each side?

i.e. if I have 2 boxes connected to one side of an ITech, which are both rated 800w RMS power handling, should I set the average power limiter for each side to 1600w?  Or should it be set to the program power or even peak power ratings of the boxes?

#5 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(rezsbc @ Sep 14 2005, 09:02 AM)
Should the average power limiter be set to the combined RMS ratings of all the boxes on each side?

i.e. if I have 2 boxes connected to one side of an ITech, which are both rated 800w RMS power handling, should I set the average power limiter for each side to 1600w?  Or should it be set to the program power or even peak power ratings of the boxes?
View Post

You are correct in assuming that you want to set it at 1,600W however remember that if you remove a speaker you will need to change the setting.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#6 rezsbc

rezsbc

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE(Brad Benn @ Sep 14 2005, 09:00 PM)
You are correct in assuming that you want to set it at 1,600W however remember that if you remove a speaker you will need to change the setting.
View Post

of course....thanks for the reply this is what I had been doing just wanted to confirm smile.gif

#7 crownsound

crownsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:32 PM

I have a dealer who is willing to loan me an I Tech 4000 for a weekend to try! Proof is in the pudding, I will see firsthand what this amp does.

If I love it, I will purchase 4 of them to go into my system!

#8 crownsound

crownsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

One other question I have about using the I Tech series of amps is the latency! Lets say I am using Macro techs on subs, and vintage D series on horns a tweeters, and use I Tech amps on my fifteens, how does the latency affect what I hear? In other words, the marco,s and D series have no latency, the DSP based I Techs are a little over 1ms behind the other amps, or more depending how much DSP processing is being used!

Will my 15,s sound like they are lagging behind everything else? Just curious, I have played with delay setting on crossovers, and to my ears, cant really detect a difference with such small delays, but I would like to know for sure, what Crown has to say about this, too!

Basically, do you feel the I Techs will integrate nicely into a system that uses more conventional Crowns throughout the rest of my system?

#9 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(crownsound @ Sep 15 2005, 01:48 PM)
One other question I have about using the I Tech series of amps is the latency!

snip

...the DSP based I Techs are a little over 1ms behind the other amps, or more depending how much DSP processing is being used!
View Post

The Latency will stay the same no matter how much DSP processing is being used. (Actually it will change if you are using the Delay feature, but that is expected.) So your delay will be based on the route into the amplifier.  Fixed latency delays are always present in the module itself:  

DSP Processing: 32 bit, Floating Point, 665 Ás latency.  
DAC Conversion: 24 bit, 135 Ás latency.  
ADC Conversion: 18 bit, 312 Ás latency.  

As you said, you have not been able to hear a difference. Most people will not, but if amplifiers are mixed and matched within the same bandpass and the boxes are arrayed, one can cause phase problems. To illustrate how this problem can occur if you are using passive speaker cabinets arrayed together, if you were to power box 1 and 3 from an MA and box 2 from an I-Tech one could get some phase issues.

Does that make sense?

Given the description of your system configuration you should not have any issues.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#10 crownsound

crownsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(Brad Benn @ Sep 15 2005, 04:21 PM)

snip

...the DSP based I Techs are a little over 1ms behind the other amps, or more depending how much DSP processing is being used!
View Post

The Latency will stay the same no matter how much DSP processing is being used. (Actually it will change if you are using the Delay feature, but that is expected.) So your delay will be based on the route into the amplifier.  Fixed latency delays are always present in the module itself:  

As you said, you have not been able to hear a difference. Most people will not, but if amplifiers are mixed and matched within the same bandpass and the boxes are arrayed, one can cause phase problems. To illustrate how this problem can occur if you are using passive speaker cabinets arrayed together, if you were to power box 1 and 3 from an MA and box 2 from an I-Tech one could get some phase issues.

Does that make sense?

Given the description of your system configuration you should not have any issues.
View Post
Well, the I Techs would power the 15,s, so all my fifteens would have I Tech amps driving them! It, if I decide to purchase them, will be the 3 to 4 of the same model of amp driving this range!

I will see what I think of the amp once I`ve got it in my system and run it for a few days!

#11 crownsound

crownsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(crownsound @ Sep 15 2005, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE(Brad Benn @ Sep 15 2005, 04:21 PM)

snip

View Post

Does that make sense?

View Post
Well, the I Techs would power the 15,s, so all my fifteens would have I Tech amps driving them! It, if I decide to purchase them, will be the 3 to 4 of the same model of amp driving this range!

I will see what I think of the amp once I`ve got it in my system and run it for a few days!
View Post
Been listening to the I Tech 400 for two days now! I also have a Macro tech 2402 running another two pairs of fifteens, I think I want two more macro tech 2402,s!

#12 crownsound

crownsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:56 AM

I`ve definitely made my decision, although the I Techs make a lot of sound, I prefer the low end of the macro tech and this is how Ill do it!