XTI 4000 Clip indicater

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 onewaysound

onewaysound
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

My xti4000 is powering 2x EV T18's loaded with EVX180b 8 ohm drivers and I power the pair in parallel  (4ohm) with 1x XTI4000 bridge mono. The amp seems to push the subs well and sounds good but I notice occasionally if Im pushing a bit more low end then normal my xti will start flashing the red clip led continuously on peaks and I usually back off a bit till it stops flashing at all. I noticed it will do this and still sound perfectly fine with no audible distortion.
My question is, will it cause harm if run while clip light flashes even if it still sounds great without distortion?
Also, does the XTI clip light glow at or before clip?

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE(onewaysound @ Jan 24 2012, 01:56 AM) View Post
My xti4000 is powering 2x EV T18's loaded with EVX180b 8 ohm drivers and I power the pair in parallel  (4ohm) with 1x XTI4000 bridge mono. The amp seems to push the subs well and sounds good but I notice occasionally if Im pushing a bit more low end then normal my xti will start flashing the red clip led continuously on peaks and I usually back off a bit till it stops flashing at all. I noticed it will do this and still sound perfectly fine with no audible distortion.
My question is, will it cause harm if run while clip light flashes even if it still sounds great without distortion?
Also, does the XTI clip light glow at or before clip?

Doesn't matter if it sounds great, it's still clipping, avoid that at all cost or pay the price...
The clip light lights only after clipping has occurred. It will also come to life if clipping occurred anywhere in the sound chain. If you play from a computer, don't clip the sound card. If you use an EQ, use it only to cut the signal not boost it, and so goes for all the gear you have before the amp. For setting your mixer properly, watch this video.

I would also recommend you use a 24dB/octave L/R high pass filter for the subs at the -3dB point of the sub, this way you'll gain a few extra dBs just for keeping the inaudible sound out of the amp.