xls series amps with bad fans?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cs30841

cs30841
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:47 PM

This will make the third one that this has happened to me on. After being used for a little bit (recent one was just one gig) the fans increased in volume. As in they are audiblely louder pulling the air through. It wasn't just after the gig when the amp was warmer and the fans were pulling more through I pulled it out the next morning and let it just run with nothing plugged in and it was still just as loud. It doesnt apear to send any noise into the mix or anything like that but i just dont want them cutting out on me and this being the first sign. The two were being used to power two jbl speakers. They were not cliping or being driven to hard or anything. The most recent one was a XLS402 again powering two JBL speakers. I'm just wondering if this is a common thing that has been come across with these amps or if I some how just am a very unlucky person and got the three that this happened to?

#2 KWhitehead

KWhitehead

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(cs30841 @ Mar 6 2005, 10:47 PM)
This will make the third one that this has happened to me on. After being used for a little bit (recent one was just one gig) the fans increased in volume. As in they are audiblely louder pulling the air through. It wasn't just after the gig when the amp was warmer and the fans were pulling more through I pulled it out the next morning and let it just run with nothing plugged in and it was still just as loud. It doesnt apear to send any noise into the mix or anything like that but i just dont want them cutting out on me and this being the first sign. The two were being used to power two jbl speakers. They were not cliping or being driven to hard or anything. The most recent one was a XLS402 again powering two JBL speakers. I'm just wondering if this is a common thing that has been come across with these amps or if I some how just am a very unlucky person and got the three that this happened to?
View Post

The XLS fans will run at a low speed and then ramp up faster as heat builds up. This is normal operation for the XLS series amps. How hard the amplifier is driven will have some effect on how fast the fans will run but the sensors are sensing both heat sink and power supply temps so even at idle they may ramp up and down. They may not run up to full speed to you will see slight variations in the fan. Did your fans ever ramp down after it sat there turned on? At first power up the fans may kick in to a higher speed but should ramp down to a low speed.

Thanks,

Kip Whitehead
Crown Technical Support