K1 sudden volume drop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 petergaryr

petergaryr
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:05 PM

In June of this year, I purchased a Crown K1 to use as an external amp for my Denon 2805 receiver.  It has worked fine until today.  For no apparent reason, channel 1 now is outputting about 1/2 of its former volume.

No warning lights are lit, like the TLC.  I've verified all the other connected equipment is functioning properly.  I tried the obvious of exchanging the inputs for channel 1 and 2, and the problem it definately with channel 1.  The amp is sitting on top of an equipment cabinet, so it is getting quite a bit of air circulation.

Aside from the obvious send it in for warranty repair, is there anything else I should check?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

Since you have already switched the inputs and the amp channel is still not working it sounds like the amplifier will need to be serviced.
If you wish to send it in to us for repair you can go online to http://www.crownaudio.com/support/factserv.htm and create a Service Return Authorization (SRA)

#3 petergaryr

petergaryr
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Aug 8 2005, 10:04 AM)
Since you have already switched the inputs and the amp channel is still not working it sounds like the amplifier will need to be serviced.
If you wish to send it in to us for repair you can go online to http://www.crownaudio.com/support/factserv.htm and create a Service Return Authorization (SRA)
View Post

Thanks.  Channel 1 is back working this morning.  The symptom sounds like what is described when the amp is overheating, but as I said, no other lights like the IOC, Clip or TLC have ever come on.  Only the signal light flickers.

Is it possible for the protection to start to cut in without any visible indication?  Even though this amp is sitting on top of the equipment cabinet with plenty of air circulation, it does get very hot to the touch.  I'd rather not have to ship it back if there is something else I should try.

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(petergaryr @ Aug 8 2005, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE(DGlass @ Aug 8 2005, 10:04 AM)
View Post

Thanks.  Channel 1 is back working this morning.  The symptom sounds like what is described when the amp is overheating, but as I said, no other lights like the IOC, Clip or TLC have ever come on.  Only the signal light flickers.

Is it possible for the protection to start to cut in without any visible indication?  Even though this amp is sitting on top of the equipment cabinet with plenty of air circulation, it does get very hot to the touch.  I'd rather not have to ship it back if there is something else I should try.
View Post

If the Thermal Level Control (TLC) were to kick in it should light the front panel indicator.