PZM 30FS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 densman

densman
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:24 AM

I just bought a used Crown PZM 30FS it is silver in color. I need some info on it.  The only info I could find was for a 30F. I thought that maybe the "S' just stood for silver, but there is a difference in size and I see no frequency switch that the 30F has. My main concern is do I need a PX-18 transformer to change the impedence from hi to lo? Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks, Densman

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:41 PM

The PZM-30, PZM-30F, PZM-30FS, PZM-30R and PZM30D all did not require the PX-18 and could be run with just phantom power. All other earlier models, in the PZM-30 series, needed the a PX-18.

The "S" in the "FS" did stand for silver in color color while the "F" indicated that it had a flatter high frequency response. The "R" designator said the mic had a moderate rise at the higher frequencies.

The PZM-30 (no designator) was basically a PZM-30F while the "D" model has a switch for both flat and rising high frequency response curves. smile.gif

#3 sejhre

sejhre
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Dec 13 2005, 05:41 PM)
The PZM-30, PZM-30F, PZM-30FS, PZM-30R and PZM30D all did not require the PX-18 and could be run with just phantom power. All other earlier models, in the PZM-30 series, needed the a PX-18.

The "S" in the "FS" did stand for silver in color color while the "F" indicated that it had a flatter high frequency response. The "R" designator said the mic had a moderate rise at the higher frequencies.

The PZM-30 (no designator) was basically a PZM-30F while the "D" model has a switch for both flat and rising high frequency response curves. smile.gif
View Post

The effort of finding, and registering for, this Forum just paid for itself manyfold.

I recently acquired a PZM-30F.  
Big quandry was sorting out conflicting info between:
-- "PZM-30R PZM-30F" document [k80351a6.pdf] which sez:
       "30R and 30F feature self-contained electronics which allow them
        to plug directly into a standard 12-48 VDC phantom power supply."
AND
-- Page 4 of the Summer/04 'Mic Memo' which sez:
       "The PZM-6S, PZM-6F, PZM-30GP, PZM-30F and PZM-31S are
         legacy (discontinued) Crown PZM's ... [that] got their power
         from a Crown PX-T, PA-18 or PX-18 interface ..."

So, if I understand correctly...  I should keep on using the PX-18's
that came with my PZM-6LP's, but I can safely plug the 30F directly
into my field mixers [Shure FP31 and FP33].

j.

p.s: Darned shame -- though understandable -- that the Mic Memo
       newsletters are no longer issued.  Hopefully, as I become more
       familiar with the 'Crown Forums' I'll discover a way that they can
       automagically be periodically piped to me in digest form via e-mail.

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(sejhre @ Dec 20 2005, 02:19 PM)

View Post

The effort of finding, and registering for, this Forum just paid for itself manyfold.

AND

j.

View Post

Yes, keep the PX-18 for the 6LP's and the the 30F should be able to be used with no problems directly.

#5 densman

densman
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Dec 22 2005, 02:43 PM)

View Post

AND

j.

View Post

Yes, keep the PX-18 for the 6LP's and the the 30F should be able to be used with no problems directly.
View Post

#6 densman

densman
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:51 AM

I noticed alot of noise coming from my PZM 30FS, like a hiss or white noise. It was loud enough to raise the VU meters. I thought it must be the cable so I tried a new one. It didn't make any difference, so I tried the PX-18 that I have for my PZM 31s. No more noise and I think it actually sounds better.    ??????????

#7 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(densman @ Dec 23 2005, 04:51 AM)
I noticed alot of noise coming from my PZM 30FS, like a hiss or white noise. It was loud enough to raise the VU meters. I thought it must be the cable so I tried a new one. It didn't make any difference, so I tried the PX-18 that I have for my PZM 31s. No more noise and I think it actually sounds better.    ??????????
View Post

I don't know how it is working with a PX-18 as the PX-18 provides a bias voltage not phantom power to the microphone.
It sounds like you either have a PZM that the cantilever, on the mic plate, has been exchanged or the mic was miss marked somehow.
I would remove the cantilever, from the plate, and see if there is electronics in it. If there isn't than you will need the PX-18. If there is than you do not need the PX-18. A cantilever that requires the PX-18 will work for a while until the phantom power burns out the FET.

#8 densman

densman
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Dec 28 2005, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE(densman @ Dec 23 2005, 04:51 AM)
I noticed alot of noise coming from my PZM 30FS, like a hiss or white noise. It was loud enough to raise the VU meters. I thought it must be the cable so I tried a new one. It didn't make any difference, so I tried the PX-18 that I have for my PZM 31s. No more noise and I think it actually sounds better.    ??????????
View Post

I don't know how it is working with a PX-18 as the PX-18 provides a bias voltage not phantom power to the microphone.
It sounds like you either have a PZM that the cantilever, on the mic plate, has been exchanged or the mic was miss marked somehow.
I would remove the cantilever, from the plate, and see if there is electronics in it. If there isn't than you will need the PX-18. If there is than you do not need the PX-18. A cantilever that requires the PX-18 will work for a while until the phantom power burns out the FET.
View Post

#9 densman

densman
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:54 AM

OK, I removed the cantilever and it does contain electronics. Does the fact that it makes noise and works with the PX-18 mean there's something wrong with it ? Will using the PX-18 hurt anything?  Thanks for all your help,  Densman.               I just had another thought, I have some fluorescent lights in the studio, could that be the source of the noise? The pzm 31s with the PX-18 doesn't have noise but the 30fs has noise without the PX-18 and both are plugged into the same board.

#10 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(densman @ Dec 29 2005, 01:54 AM)
OK, I removed the cantilever and it does contain electronics. Does the fact that it makes noise and works with the PX-18 mean there's something wrong with it ? Will using the PX-18 hurt anything?  Thanks for all your help,  Densman.               I just had another thought, I have some fluorescent lights in the studio, could that be the source of the noise? The pzm 31s with the PX-18 doesn't have noise but the 30fs has noise without the PX-18 and both are plugged into the same board.
View Post

There is a complete and total difference in how a microphone that is powered by phantom power and one that is powered by a Bias voltage operate. In phantom power mics a voltage is applied across pins 2&3 of the XLR and on Bias powered mics either pin 2 or 3 has a DC voltage as referenced to the shield (pin1).
Why your mic is working I don't know. All I can say is it shouldn't be. huh.gif

#11 brubart

brubart

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

AND

The Summer 04 Mic Memo is incorrect, but it will be updated with the correct models in a week.
Brubart