D-150A

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Video4Him

Video4Him
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:35 PM

I have a D-150A - early model (1975?) that has faithfully driven my Crown        ES-212  electrostatic speakers for many years. (How many pairs of *those* units are still out there?!?!)

Just recently, the left channel has started sounding distorted, after power up.  However, after a while, the problem seems to clear up.
One local technician I spoke with (who seems to have some familiarity with the older Crown amps) told me that the problem is likely an "op-amp" that's going bad.

Opinions?  If it is, in fact, an op-amp, are the parts still available?  Cost?
I'd love to upgrade to a newer Crown amp, but frankly the $$ just isn't there.

Also, just out of curiosity, are there any parts left for the electrostatic speakers?  (Probably not, but hey...can't hurt to ask!!)

Go Crown! (and thanks in advance).

Stan

#2 KGring

KGring

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:54 AM

Stan,
The op-amp could cause this. The item is a UA739 op-amp Crown part number C 3231-5 ($7.55 from parts dept.). Also, cracked solder connections on the driver transistors  or poor ground connections on the  pots or the input jacks. Crown does still repair these amplifiers. The service manual is available in pdf format as well.
http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

I have been at Crown for 16 years and unfortunately the Speaker parts were long gone before I started working here.

QUOTE(Video4Him @ May 10 2005, 10:35 PM)
I have a D-150A - early model (1975?) that has faithfully driven my Crown        ES-212  electrostatic speakers for many years. (How many pairs of *those* units are still out there?!?!)

Just recently, the left channel has started sounding distorted, after power up.  However, after a while, the problem seems to clear up.
One local technician I spoke with (who seems to have some familiarity with the older Crown amps) told me that the problem is likely an "op-amp" that's going bad.

Opinions?  If it is, in fact, an op-amp, are the parts still available?  Cost?

Also, just out of curiosity, are there any parts left for the electrostatic speakers?  (Probably not, but hey...can't hurt to ask!!)

Stan
View Post

Kevin B. Gring
Crown Audio
kgring@crownintl.com

#3 Video4Him

Video4Him
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE(KGring @ May 11 2005, 08:54 AM)
Stan,
The op-amp could cause this. The item is a UA739 op-amp Crown part number C 3231-5 ($7.55 from parts dept.). Also, cracked solder connections on the driver transistors  or poor ground connections on the  pots or the input jacks. Crown does still repair these amplifiers. The service manual is available in pdf format as well.
http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

I have been at Crown for 16 years and unfortunately the Speaker parts were long gone before I started working here.

QUOTE(Video4Him @ May 10 2005, 10:35 PM)
I have a D-150A - early model (1975?) that has faithfully driven my Crown        ES-212  electrostatic speakers for many years. (How many pairs of *those* units are still out there?!?!)

Just recently, the left channel has started sounding distorted, after power up.  However, after a while, the problem seems to clear up.

Opinions?  If it is, in fact, an op-amp, are the parts still available?  Cost?

Also, just out of curiosity, are there any parts left for the electrostatic speakers?  (Probably not, but hey...can't hurt to ask!!)

Stan
View Post

View Post

#4 Video4Him

Video4Him
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:45 AM

Thanks a bunch.  I'm going to do a bit more troubleshooting and probably order that part.

Stan

#5 longjos

longjos
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

I just repaired a D150 with the same problem you are describing.
It was just an electrolytic Cap that had opened up. I don't remember exactly which one it was, but there are only three on the pre-amp board. I think it was the 10uF. Chech that out while your in there.

QUOTE(Video4Him @ May 13 2005, 06:45 AM)
Thanks a bunch.  I'm going to do a bit more troubleshooting and probably order that part.

Stan
View Post

#6 Video4Him

Video4Him
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(longjos @ May 23 2005, 04:05 PM)
I just repaired a D150 with the same problem you are describing.
It was just an electrolytic Cap that had opened up. I don't remember exactly which one it was, but there are only three on the pre-amp board. I think it was the 10uF. Chech that out while your in there.

QUOTE(Video4Him @ May 13 2005, 06:45 AM)
Thanks a bunch.  I'm going to do a bit more troubleshooting and probably order that part.

Stan
View Post

View Post

#7 Video4Him

Video4Him
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the tip... I replaced the dual op-amp.  Didn't fix the problem entirely.
There was improvement, but still some distortion on power-up.  At least the part was cheap. biggrin.gif
Now if I can just figure out which part it is you're talking about!! blink.gif

Stan

#8 Adrian White

Adrian White
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Video4Him @ May 29 2005, 04:17 AM)
Thanks for the tip... I replaced the dual op-amp.  Didn't fix the problem entirely.
There was improvement, but still some distortion on power-up.  At least the part was cheap. biggrin.gif
Now if I can just figure out which part it is you're talking about!! blink.gif

Stan
View Post

Sorry not to have picked up on this thread earlier.

In my experience it is very very rare for an op-amp to fail on a D150/A or DC300A etc.

It sounds more like a component deterioration problem within the current source for the voltage amplifier sections of which the 10uf capacitor (Circuit Ref. C5) previously mentioned is indeed part thereof. This is connected to the two small signal transistors that share a common heatsink on the PCB.

The easiset thing to do is measure the DC voltage across the 10V zenner diode that this capacitor goes in parrallel with. This should be (not surprisingly!) 10V but I expect that it will probably be between 7 and 9 instead. If so, the best thing to do in my experience is to replace the 10uf 63V cap, the zenner diode and (if you can get a suitable one) the series 10uf 150V capacitor that feeds this network from the power transformer/rectifier (Circuit Ref. C4).

The problem is a common one with DC300As that have been in service for some time but because the circuit is very similar on the D150/A it turns up there too.

The Crown part numbers that I think you want are -

C3728-0 10uf 63V Capacitor
C2796-8 10uf 150V Capacitor
C3549-0 10V IN916B Zenner Diode

Good luck and I hope this helps

Best regards

Adrian

#9 sloan

sloan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

I have a D150A  that has been in storage 10 yrs  or so ,(A SHAME I KNOW  BUT ...)   The right channel IOC indicator  LED  stays on all the time ,I havent tried sending a signal thru it yet .I was just wondering if anyone knew of some things I could try before sending it back to Mommy for repairs .I have limited test equipment ,but a decent background in electronics .Any help would sho be appreciated  ....
                                     Sloan   smile.gif

#10 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(sloan @ Sep 28 2005, 04:23 PM)
I have a D150A  that has been in storage 10 yrs  or so ,(A SHAME I KNOW  BUT ...)   The right channel IOC indicator  LED  stays on all the time ,I havent tried sending a signal thru it yet .I was just wondering if anyone knew of some things I could try before sending it back to Mommy for repairs .I have limited test equipment ,but a decent background in electronics .Any help would sho be appreciated  ....
                                     Sloan   smile.gif
View Post

I would get it to a service center as there is little you will be able to do with limited test equipment.
However if you would like to attempt repair on your own the Service Manual is available as a free downloadable .pdf file at: http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm