xls402

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cjkell01

cjkell01
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:15 AM

dry.gif  I spend plenty of time researching what size and brand amp I was going to buy. I ended up with an XLS402. I have only one question-Does anyone know why Crown would make it so difficult to bridge this amp. You need a custom Y-cable that apparantly you have to make youself and can not just be bought at the place I purchased the amp. I chose Crown because of the years they have under their belts in making amps. But, I want an amp that has an easier set up to bridge. I will do everything under my power to return this amp to the place that I purchased and will never buy another Crown product.

#2 Bob007

Bob007
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(cjkell01 @ Nov 27 2005, 11:15 AM)
dry.gif  I spend plenty of time researching what size and brand amp I was going to buy. I ended up with an XLS402. I have only one question-Does anyone know why Crown would make it so difficult to bridge this amp. You need a custom Y-cable that apparantly you have to make youself and can not just be bought at the place I purchased the amp. I chose Crown because of the years they have under their belts in making amps. But, I want an amp that has an easier set up to bridge. I will do everything under my power to return this amp to the place that I purchased and will never buy another Crown product.
View Post

You did not choose the wrong brand you bought the wrong amp!  Crown makes the best audio amplifiers in the world.  If easy bridge mono is important Crown makes many models that fit the bill.  Do yourself a favor, calm down and stay with Crown.  No one else comes close....  Down the road you will thank me  rolleyes.gif

Bob

#3 cjkell01

cjkell01
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(Bob007 @ Nov 27 2005, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE(cjkell01 @ Nov 27 2005, 11:15 AM)

dry.gif  I spend plenty of time researching what size and brand amp I was going to buy. I ended up with an XLS402. I have only one question-Does anyone know why Crown would make it so difficult to bridge this amp. You need a custom Y-cable that apparantly you have to make youself and can not just be bought at the place I purchased the amp. I chose Crown because of the years they have under their belts in making amps. But, I want an amp that has an easier set up to bridge. I will do everything under my power to return this amp to the place that I purchased and will never buy another Crown product.
View Post

You did not choose the wrong brand you bought the wrong amp!  Crown makes the best audio amplifiers in the world.  If easy bridge mono is important Crown makes many models that fit the bill.  Do yourself a favor, calm down and stay with Crown.  No one else comes close....  Down the road you will thank me  rolleyes.gif

Bob
View Post

I am calm now, I went to the place I purchased and raised he**. I think my disgust came more from the lack of help and knowledge from the place I purchased than anything else. If someone would have told me the way this amp had to be bidged I may have bought another Crown amp. Also the fact that I had to go back three times and still could not get the help needed was a pain. But, with the help of some previous post on this forum I have made my 'Y' cable and my amp is hooked up and running fine. But I would once again like to express my feeling in the fact that I cannot understand why Crown chose to make bridging this series so difficult. If they chose this way at least they could manufacture the needed "Y" cable and market it. I would have easily paid an additional $15 to $20 to get the correct cable the first time. By the way the amp sounds great I have it pushing a Peavey SP118 and the bass is unbelievable.

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:13 PM

Not that long a go there were no switches to do Bridge-Mono and it had to be done manually. The Bridge-Mono setup of the XLS amplifiers is the original way of doing a BM setup before the installation of switches and the BM setup circuitry. This setup was not installed on the XLS amplifiers as a cost reduction to keep our them cost competitive in the entry level market. smile.gif

#5 cjkell01

cjkell01
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

I can truly see the reasoning for this BM setup per your reply and research I have done on the internet. I truly believe that I got the most bang for my buck by going with this amp. I just wish the place I bought the amp would have been more knowledgable. One question, do you think this is the right amp for my application. I have it bridged going to one Peavey SP118. Power handling for this speaker is 600 watts continuous-1,200 watts program, and 2,400 watts peak.

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(cjkell01 @ Nov 29 2005, 07:46 PM)
I can truly see the reasoning for this BM setup per your reply and research I have done on the internet. I truly believe that I got the most bang for my buck by going with this amp. I just wish the place I bought the amp would have been more knowledgable. One question, do you think this is the right amp for my application. I have it bridged going to one Peavey SP118. Power handling for this speaker is 600 watts continuous-1,200 watts program, and 2,400 watts peak.
View Post

I went to the manufactures web site and got the impedance of the SP118 at 8 -ohms. With that infornmation, the power specs and using the Amplifier Guidelines, discussed in other posting of this forum, the SP118 numbers look like this:

1200 watts Program for 3db of headroom
.8 x 1200= 960 watts
1.25 x 1200= 1500 watts

So the SP118 would be looking for an amplifier that could do around 1200watts with an 8-ohm load and be in the power range of 960 to 1500 watts.

The XLS 402 is rated for 800 watts, 8-ohms in Bridge-Mono. Although the XLS is lower than the recommended power range for extra headroom, it is above the Continuous Power rating of 600 watts. I am going to assume it is not doing to be doing full range only the sub bandwidth  biggrin.gif  thus it should be alright as long as you aren't doing full output club dance music all night. laugh.gif

The XLS 602 would be a better power match doing 1,200 watts, 8-ohms Bridge-Mono.

#7 cjkell01

cjkell01
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:04 PM

Actually I only have this equipment as a hobby. I use it when I have parties at home or if a friend or family member needs a sound system for a gathering. I eventually want to get a new amp for my other speakers. This amp would probably be a good match and I would move up to the XLS602 for my SP118.

#8 cjkell01

cjkell01
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:07 PM

I also forgot to mention I am only using this for sub output and not at full range. I am running thru a Peavey Cosmos, which by the way is probably the best $230.00 investment I've made.