K-Series Noise Gate?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ancient Audoiphile

Ancient Audoiphile
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

Are there Any Noise Gates or Signal Processors inside the K series amplifiers?

The reason why I am asking this question is that when I ran some test tones through my K1 and the signal would cut out after a few seconds. At first, I thought that there must be something wrong with my K1 amplifier. But, when I performed the same test on a brand new K2, it did the same thing. Also, I have noticed that after a few seconds of silence, the faint level of background hum drops.

Can some one give an explanation as to what is going on?

#2 J.W.

J.W.
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(Ancient Audoiphile @ Nov 5 2005, 02:43 PM)
Are there Any Noise Gates or Signal Processors inside the K series amplifiers?

The reason why I am asking this question is that when I ran some test tones through my K1 and the signal would cut out after a few seconds. At first, I thought that there must be something wrong with my K1 amplifier. But, when I performed the same test on a brand new K2, it did the same thing. Also, I have noticed that after a few seconds of silence, the faint level of background hum drops.

Can some one give an explanation as to what is going on?
View Post

My I-Tech does the same thing and I have been wanting to ask that same question about it.If it has a gate,I have never activated it.I'll be looking forward to replies to this thread.I know it is a different model than yours but It could be doing the same thing.

#3 helicool

helicool

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:13 PM

The K-series does have a "gate" of some sort, varying in threshold depending on the year of production (I have a rack of 4 from different times, and 2 units react differently then the others)

I am not aware of gates on the I-Tech Series - my IT4000's don't do this.

Ryan

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:57 PM

The K-series amplifiers are equipped with a power conservation circuit otherwise known as a Sleep Circuit. This circuit conserves energy when the amplifier is not in use. It also helps to keep the amplifier chassis cool when no work is being done.
The amount of time it takes the K-series amps to go into sleep mode was originally factory set for 6 seconds and later extended to 56 seconds.
Basically if the amplifier doesn't see any input or an input below a predetermined level for the set time interval the amplifier will shut itself partly down to conserve energy. If it senses an input signal it turns itself right back on.
If you have one of the early models, with the shorter time period we have a mod that can be done by a qualified electronics service technician to adjust the time out to 56 seconds. The Mod for the K-series can be obtained by contacting anyone here in Crown Technical Suport.

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

[/quote]
My I-Tech does the same thing and I have been wanting to ask that same question about it.If it has a gate,I have never activated it.I'll be looking forward to replies to this thread.I know it is a different model than yours but It could be doing the same thing.
View Post
[/quote]
The I-Techs like the K-series have a Power conservation circuit were the amp if it doesn't see a signal for a set period of time will shut down partly to conserve power and reduce heat. The settings for the I-Techs ,unlike the K-series, is not changeable. After much testing, since the K-series, this function has been optimized to provide for the best power conservation to performance specifications

#6 Ancient Audoiphile

Ancient Audoiphile
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

Thanks DGlass!
That explains a lot.

Since, I am using an array of 5 Crown amplifiers for my home stereo.
I must be using so little power that the K series amplifiers are cycling in and out of sleep mode between songs. Next time, I fire up my stereo I will may more attention to the time periods. If my K series amplifiers are set for 6 seconds, then I will definitely look into having the sleep circuit adjusted.