13 replies to this topic

#1 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hi folks... Can someone shed some light on this for me...

I am running my XT1 1000. I'm happy with the sound, tone, power and functionality. Nothing 'wrong' here. However...

I run the amp in bridge mono mode with a high pass filter set (24db butterworth slope off at 30hz) (1400w into 4ohm) into a 4ohm speaker. When in use the ready and signal lights are on on ch1 and the signal light on ch2. When I dig in the signal light also flashes on for ch2. This is all I can get out of the amp. Even when driving my preamp to the point of audible distortion and the XTi is at seriously loud levels I can't get even get the -20db light to come on let alone the -10db. The manual implies that 'signal' is for a very weak signal - my god, if this is weak!!!

I have once managed to get the -20db light to flicker - running sub-octave into a low pass filter into a 12-stage moog phaser. The entire room was shaking and i just got the -20db light to flash. When it did however, the ch2 -20db light flickered on as well (even though I'm in bridge mono). When the -20db light on ch2 came on the signal light went off (so I had bottom 3 lights on ch1 on and the bottom and 3rd light on ch2, with the 'signal' light off!?). The moment the -20db light came on, so did the fan!

So...
Is it possible that my huge bass signal is really that weak that I can't drive the amp too much (even though the signal sounds great)?

Should any lights be on ch2 even though I'm running bridge mono on ch1? If so, why do they light at different levels/times and why does the signal light go out on ch2 if i ever hit -20db?

Should I just trust my ears - it sounds fine so it is fine?

Shep

#2 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

No one got any ideas?

Using it today showed that after an hour or two of use, not only did the fan start kicking in, but the -20db light started to come on more frequently - Like the amp needs to warm up before reaching optimum gain? However twice during rehearsal, when the -20db light was on (on both channels, with the signal light not lit up as described in the post above) there was a sudden flurry and all the lights shot up to the thermal light and the sound went for a split second (less than half a second), then the lights reset to the signal level and it took another 20 minutes of so of playing before the -20db light was on again, then the same thing.

No audible distortion - seems odd that I can't get the amp anywhere need clipping, and that the thermal cut out lasted less than a second?? I'm not sure this amp is working quite right! Mayne I need to move the high pass filter up higher than 30-35hz (would this make it stop working as hard?).

I put the first post in email form to Kevin Gring (as the crown website suggests) some 10 days or more ago but never heard anything, so I fired the same email off to Crown customer services 3 days ago. Any ides how long they usually take to reply to tech support requests?

Thanks

Shep

#3 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

It's best to email crownsupport@harman.com for tech support questions.  

Your situation does seem a bit odd.  When in bridge mode, the channel 2 indicator lights (signal, -20, -10) should be identical.  The thermal lights will come on when that channels heat sink reaches a certain temp.  

Are you using this as a sub amp?  What type of load?  Are you using a balanced preamp?  One thing I would wonder is if one of the pins on the XLR cab;e came loose, losing half of the signal.  I'd switch cables real quick and see if that makes a difference.

#4 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(Tom Lureman @ Nov 29 2011, 02:57 PM) View Post
It's best to email crownsupport@harman.com for tech support questions.  

Your situation does seem a bit odd.  When in bridge mode, the channel 2 indicator lights (signal, -20, -10) should be identical.  The thermal lights will come on when that channels heat sink reaches a certain temp.  

Are you using this as a sub amp?  What type of load?  Are you using a balanced preamp?  One thing I would wonder is if one of the pins on the XLR cab;e came loose, losing half of the signal.  I'd switch cables real quick and see if that makes a difference.

Hi Tom,

I think I just emailed you actually having found your email address on the website. I emailed the customer service email about 10 days ago but never got a reply. I just came back here to check on replies!

I've likely answered everything in my email but.

I'm playing live bass though a huge chain of effects. into an EBS 1v2 Preamp, taking the left out Jack - XLR Channel 1 input of the XTi 1000. I've set the amp to Bridge Mono mode and a High Pass liter with 24db slope off at 30hz to protect the speaker a little. It's going into a Barefaced Big Twin T Bass cab (full range - 2 low pass'd 12", 1 Mid Driver & 1 Tweeter).

Both Ready Lights are always on.
Ch1 Signal light is on when playing. Ch2 Signal light is on with a loud signal.
-20db light only comes on after an hour or so of use and only very occasionally. It lights on both channels together but the signal light for ch2 goes off when the -20db light comes on!?.
Every so often I get a sudden flurry of lights shooting up to the Thermal light. Theres a micro second drop in signal, then the lights go back to Signal only and the process starts again over the next hour.

I just find it odd that I can't get the amp into the -20 or -10db gain stages? Then the sudden peak of Thermal protection from nothing. Plus the ch2. not mirroring ch1.

I used System Architect only briefly as I own 3 Mac's and not 1 PC (Where is the mac version!) - There isn't anything I could of activated in SA by accident that would cause such behaviour?

Shep

#5 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

What is the SN of this amp?  Should be an 800 number on the back.

#6 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

I'll have a look when I get to the studio in an hour or so and update!

When I did have my brief run in with SA I had difficulty getting it to find the amp as the firmware needed upgrading etc. it took hours but I found a link on this forum when helped with with the upgrade etc. That may mean its a slightly older one if it came with out of date firmware?

It was the last one that the store here in the UK had!

Will report back when I have the SN

Thanks

#7 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

Yes please do.  It does sound like an older one, it might be the display board. The distributor in the UK is Sound Technologies, you might need to get ahold of them.  But let me know what the SN is and we'll go from there.

Has it always been doing this, or did it start a while after purchase?

#8 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

I've only had the amp 5 weeks or so. It's done it from day 1, but being my first pre/power amp set up as opposed to a tradition bass head I had no reason to believe there was a 'fault'.

Sound wise its great and the performance has been great - But obviously If I cant see if I'm making the amp peak then i'm not doing it or my speakers any good at all!

I emailed Sound Technology last week with the same email I sent to yourselves as I had been unable to get hold of crown, as yet I've heard nothing from them either - but hopefully they'll reply by the time we know what course of action to follow. As it's only 5 weeks old it will still be under warranty with the people I bought it from - but again, as yet I have no reason to think this was anything other than me not using it correctly!

Thanks

Shep

#9 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

As requested -

SN 8001247080

#10 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:20 AM

Tom,

In addition to the SN above, it's worth noting that the Signal LED for ch2 is now officially dead. Likely the reason I was confused about when it was and wasn't lighting it was clearly faulty and now does not work at all. The lights are clearly matching each other on ch1 and 2, just that LED does not work.

In itself I'm not too fussed and I don't use the amp in stereo. I'm just concerned about the fact now that I struggle to get it to light the -20db point (still never got the -10db or the clip light to register during playing - They work though as you see them all light up after power on) and that generally speaking, within a minute or 2 of getting the -20db light to register, I get strange sudden 'spikes' of the lights where they shoot up to the thermal light for a millisecond or 2...

Shep

#11 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

It's my opinion that you have a bad display board.  You will need to contact the distributor for the UK

Sound Technology
Letchworth Point
Dunhams Lane
Letchworth Garden City
Hertfordshire SG6 1ND
United Kingdom
Ph: +44 (0) 1462 480000
E-Mail:
http://www.soundtech.co.uk

#12 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. I shall call them today.

In follow up to my last message about the signal light on ch2, the LED actually works as when the amp starts up and all the light come on it lights up then! So yes, definitely something wrong.

Thanks again for your help and feedback!

#13 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

Collected today on its way back to Sound Technology to be checked over by an engineer. Fingers crossed for a speedy turn around!

#14 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

Received back today from Sound Technology.

Notes from the engineer state that the front panel was of the 'old style' and has been replaced. They have tested and all lights are now working correctly. There is also a note to state that the signal light of ch2 will NOT light when in bridge mono, however the -20,-10, clip lights etc will follow ch1.

Hopefully this will all be working great now. Will report back when I've put it through it's paces.