8 replies to this topic

#1 mikem

mikem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

Hello, I own and use an itech 6000 for my foh speakers: channel 1 to two mid/high cabs, and channel 2 to two subs in a 2 way system.  The itech is outstanding in this application - one of the best investments in gear that I have made.  I have an event coming up which will require only one sub on one channel (the other channel will have the usual pair of mid/high cabs).  Since I will only be using 1 sub, 1500 watts will be way too much for it.  Can I reduce the output power of only one channel to accommodate the one sub?  I would like to do this without hooking the amp to a computer.  Also, if I do change the output and utilize the other features, is there a way to cancel all of the new settings and or saving them without using a computer?  The documentation that came with the unit is rather sparse.  I would like to adjust the amp in the field without having to purchase a laptop if possible.  Please advise.  Mike M

#2 Zenzilla

Zenzilla
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

Mikem,

Check thru this: Crown I-Tech Series Manual

Section 4: page 19 has some info on limiting output [average power limiter], but I do not know if it is for only one channel.

There may be some downloadable presets on the Crown website that address this.

Regards,

Zenzilla

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:27 AM

You can set the Average Power setting and Peak Voltage setting from the front display panel "Advanced Menu", as described in the Operations Manual.
If, however, you wish to setup the Nominal Load Impedance or the Attack and Release settings you will need a computer and the IQwic 8.0 software.
Note: If using the Peak Voltage Limiter the Peak Voltage for a device would need to be obtained from the speaker manufacture.

#4 mikem

mikem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Jan 9 2006, 10:27 AM)
You can set the Average Power setting and Peak Voltage setting from the front display panel "Advanced Menu", as described in the Operations Manual.
If, however, you wish to setup the Nominal Load Impedance or the Attack and Release settings you will need a computer and the IQwic 8.0 software.
Note: If using the Peak Voltage Limiter the Peak Voltage for a device would need to be obtained from the speaker manufacture.
View Post

But can I adjust the peak voltage for each channel seperately
ie; CH1 @ 1500 watts (8 ohms) AND CH2 @ 750 watts (8 ohms)??
Please advise, Mike M

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(mikem @ Jan 9 2006, 10:21 PM)
View Post

But can I adjust the peak voltage for each channel separately
Please advise, Mike M
View Post

I guess I should have specifically said:
You can set the Average Power setting and Peak Voltage setting, for each channel, from the front display panel "Advanced Menu", as described in the Operations Manual. smile.gif

#6 mikem

mikem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Jan 10 2006, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE(mikem @ Jan 9 2006, 10:21 PM)
View Post

But can I adjust the peak voltage for each channel separately
Please advise, Mike M
View Post

I guess I should have specifically said:
You can set the Average Power setting and Peak Voltage setting, for each channel, from the front display panel "Advanced Menu", as described in the Operations Manual. smile.gif
View Post

Hello, I have accessed the Average Power Limitter to adjust the power level of each channel.  When I first accessed it, each channel was set at 1003 (I have never attempted to adjust the amp in the past, I just used it "out of the box".  Have I been using the amp with only 1003 watts per channel....is that (1003) the factory preset??  Does the number 1003 represent watts @ 8 ohms for that particular channel? (The operation manual and amp display do not specify "@8 ohms" when adjusting the power limitter.)   When adjusting the APL, I can turn the knob (attenuator) past 1500 for each channel but am I safe to assume that the output will peak at 1500 watts if it is indeed @ 8 ohms?  Please advise.  Mike M

#7 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:08 AM

Mike,

Have I been using the amp with only 1003 watts per channel....is that (1003) the factory preset??
Nothing was being limited unless the ON/OFF Engage button was set to ON (bright green) for that channel.

Does the number 1003 represent watts @ 8 ohms for that particular channel? (The operation manual and amp display do not specify "@8 ohms" when adjusting the power limiter.)
The 1003 Threshold value would be the Average Power level that amp channel would be set for (if turned on). If the Nominal Load Impedance window were set for 8-ohms than that would be the load it would be trying to adjust the Average Output Power of the amplifier to. The Nominal Load Impedance is not a variable you can control from the front panel.

When adjusting the APL, I can turn the knob (attenuator) past 1500 for each channel but am I safe to assume that the output will peak at 1500 watts if it is indeed @ 8 ohms?
The front panel control will adjust the APL just like the “Power Threshold” panel would do via the software. So if the amp were set to a Nominal Load Impedance of 8-ohms (assuming there was a speaker with a nominal load of 8-ohms attached) and the front panel APL was set to 1500 watts the amp would limit that channels Average Output Power to 1500 watts. If the front panel display was changed to 900 watts the amp will limit the Average Output power to 900 watts on that channel etcetera, etcetera.   smile.gif

#8 mikem

mikem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:40 PM

" So if the amp were set to a Nominal Load Impedance of 8-ohms (assuming there was a speaker with a nominal load of 8-ohms attached) and the front panel APL was set to 1500 watts the amp would limit that channels Average Output Power to 1500 watts. "

I'm sorry if I appear to be a bit "dense"......When a new amp leaves Crown, is the nominal impedence set to 8 ohms (per channel) at the factory?  M

#9 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(mikem @ Jan 16 2006, 01:40 PM)
" So if the amp were set to a Nominal Load Impedance of 8-ohms (assuming there was a speaker with a nominal load of 8-ohms attached) and the front panel APL was set to 1500 watts the amp would limit that channels Average Output Power to 1500 watts. "

I'm sorry if I appear to be a bit "dense"......When a new amp leaves Crown, is the nominal impedence set to 8 ohms (per channel) at the factory?  M
View Post

The I-Tech amps are set for 8-ohms from the factory and you would need the software to view this.  smile.gif