• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 usa_satriani

usa_satriani
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:49 PM

Hello,

I am the proud owner of a Crown K2 which I use on the low frequencies speaker of my Hi-Fi system (Fostex + Woofer).

I'd like to use a pro (opposed to consumer) amp on the Fostex too and why not a Crown K1 (never tried the K2 on mid and high frequencies but must sound great no ?) but I am afraid it is way too much powerful.

So my question is : can we get few power when the gain is very low ?

Is the sound quality compromised when used at very low gain ?

Is the K1 better or not than a D45 or D75 in the mid and highs if you don't need a lot of power ?

Thanks a lot.

Greg.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(usa_satriani @ Dec 6 2005, 12:49 PM)
Hello,

I am the proud owner of a Crown K2 which I use on the low frequencies speaker of my Hi-Fi system (Fostex + Woofer).

I'd like to use a pro (opposed to consumer) amp on the Fostex too and why not a Crown K1 (never tried the K2 on mid and high frequencies but must sound great no ?) but I am afraid it is way too much powerful.

So my question is : can we get few power when the gain is very low ?

Is the sound quality compromised when used at very low gain ?

Is the K1 better or not than a D45 or D75 in the mid and highs if you don't need a lot of power ?

Thanks a lot.

Greg.
View Post

*"low gain" I am assuming you are referring to the front panel level controls. The front panel level controls are input attenuators and not a Watt Knob. By turning the knobs up or down all you are doing is increasing or decreasing the amount of drive signal that is going to the amplifier. Amplifiers have a fixed amount of power they can put out. If you turn down the input level attenuators and give the inputs a large enough input signal you can still get full output of the amplifier.  dry.gif

For those of you monitoring this and are scratching your heads set your way back machines and think of it this way: Amplifiers used to be just a brick with a fixed amount of gain (some didn't even have power switches). Basically you put a voltage in you got a larger voltage out. Put an even larger voltage in and get an even larger voltage out until you reached the maximum the amplifier could do. One day someone decided they needed to adjust the level on one amp, independent of what the other amps were doing, so he went to his local electronic supply store, got a Potentiometer (POT), connected it between the input signal cable and the amplifier input jack. Voila…the input level control was born. smile.gif  (A little simplistic I know but…….)

*Sound quality is not made better or worse by adjusting the input level attenuators only the drive level. Now if you over drive the inputs you can of course get distortion.  biggrin.gif

*Both the K series and the D45/75 are excellent amplifiers. Selecton would all depend on your speaker power requirements. smile.gif

#3 usa_satriani

usa_satriani
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I was asking this because there are some "digital" consumer amps I know such as the TACT ones which use a different gain control : The pot actually acts on the power suply voltage of the chip. The higher the voltage is, the higher the power is.

I guess I will go with the D45 or D75 because I do not need a lot of power.

thanks.