Networking the USM810

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 soundguru

soundguru
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:13 AM

I am having problems connecting the USM810 directly to my computer via RJ45 connector for a data link.  Is this possible to do this without another interface? The reason is that the USM810 is in the amp room and I want to be able to contol and make changes on the fly at the FOH board which is at least 100 ft. away.  I currently am using the IQ for windows with the USM810 connected with a RS232.

Do I need to change to the IQWIC software to make this change possible and if do, can you give me steps to do so. Like do I need routers or switchers or anything extravagant.

Thanks for your help

Dan

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:01 PM

Dan,

The USM-810 is not a TCP/IQ Ethernet control device. The RJ-45 connectors on the back of it are for it to be able to be placed in our now Legacy 20ma Current Loop system. It is a completely different setup and protocol from Ethernet. Changing to the IQwic software will not help as IQwic is for our the Ethernet control devices like the USP-3, USP-3CN, the IQ PIP Lite and the BSS PS-8810C.

Here are a few ideas I have see other people use.

The recommended method is to put a computer in the rack with the USM-810 set it up to run the IQ for Windows Server software. Then attach the two computers via an Ethernet network and their NIC cards. The computer at the Mix location would have it's IQ for Windows software set up as a client looking at the IQ server to monitor and control the USM-810.

Another way would be to get a pair of RS-232 to fiber converters and run fiber between the two locations.

I have also heard of a person who is using a pair of RS-232 to Ethernet converters to extend the length of the RS-232. (Note: We have not tested this method and do not know how well it will work)

#3 Joewrench

Joewrench
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:00 PM

I also require remote access and what I was able to do was just as described. I have a PC co-located in the equipment rack for other functions and i've add IQserver to the PC and can monitor all of my Crown devices (14 USM810 and 28 CTS4200) from my central location using IQ. works great!!

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Joewrench @ Apr 3 2005, 04:00 PM)
I also require remote access and what I was able to do was just as described. I have a PC co-located in the equipment rack for other functions and i've add IQserver to the PC and can monitor all of my Crown devices (14 USM810 and 28 CTS4200) from my central location using IQ. works great!!
View Post

Joe

Are you using RS-232 to Ethernet converters to extend the length of the RS-232 or are you just using the IQ net software over a standard network?
Either way we are glad to hear that everything is working for you.
If you are using the RS-232 to Ethernet converters I'm sure our subscribers would like to know which ones you are using. smile.gif

#5 ghammans

ghammans
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(soundguru @ Jul 5 2004, 04:13 PM)
I am having problems connecting the USM810 directly to my computer via RJ45 connector for a data link.  Is this possible to do this without another interface? The reason is that the USM810 is in the amp room and I want to be able to contol and make changes on the fly at the FOH board which is at least 100 ft. away.  I currently am using the IQ for windows with the USM810 connected with a RS232.

Do I need to change to the IQWIC software to make this change possible and if do, can you give me steps to do so. Like do I need routers or switchers or anything extravagant.

Thanks for your help

Dan
View Post

You can also use an rs232-485 convertor if the distance is to much for an rs232 extender.
Regards Gary

#6 Chris

Chris
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:52 AM

Hi guys

You might want to check out what's called a "serial port server". It's a device you hook up to your standard ethernet network and that gives you a remote serial port.

I have used a Moxa DE-311 with great success together with BSS Soundweb units. I haven't tried with a USM810 but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

There are other manufacturers as well but here's a link to Moxa...
DE-311

Happy networking  biggrin.gif

Chris