XTI 4000 clipping all night

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 medford bassman

medford bassman
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

I use a XTI 4000 for (2) EV T-18 subs, they are rated at 400 watt. I use an AUX out on my A&H mixer to a crossover set at 100hz, then to the Crown. I use the "Sub-bridge" DSP setting so I only input on channel 1 and connect each sub to Ch1 and Ch 2.

Whenever the kick is hit, the amp clips. I have the volume on the Crown almost maxed. When I check the gain structure on the kick channel strip is doesn't seem to clip

I cannot get this fixed. any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

#2 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

It's probably clipping because the signal your mixer is sending to the amp is too big.  Different devices have different gain structures.  Usually, a compressor is needed on the kick drum in situations like this.  Take a look at the DBX 286S, I've heard people have had good results with that.

#3 medford bassman

medford bassman
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(Tom Lureman @ Oct 19 2011, 08:14 AM) View Post
It's probably clipping because the signal your mixer is sending to the amp is too big.  Different devices have different gain structures.  Usually, a compressor is needed on the kick drum in situations like this.  Take a look at the DBX 286S, I've heard people have had good results with that.

Thanks for the help! I couldn't afford that model compressor so I went with a DBX 266xs.

#4 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Classify something as "Pro" and it becomes pricey.  They make good stuff though, it should help out a lot.  Let us know how that works.

#5 medford bassman

medford bassman
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Tom Lureman @ Oct 19 2011, 02:08 PM) View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean.  Classify something as "Pro" and it becomes pricey.  They make good stuff though, it should help out a lot.  Let us know how that works.

One more question for you Tom if that is okay. I'm running the kick and bass guitar out of an AUX Out from my mixer through a crossover then onto the XTI 4000 in to Ch.1. Right now I have DSP set "Bridge-Subs" and each sub out in ch. 1 and ch. 2.

I'm being told that is an overload to my 400 watt subs and that I should turn DSP off and set the DSP Processes to Input Y.

As you can tell, I am thoroughly confused.

#6 kevvywevvywoo

kevvywevvywoo

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

Are you actually using the output stage wired bridge mono or do you want a mono feed split to 2 seperate loads?

#7 medford bassman

medford bassman
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(kevvywevvywoo @ Oct 19 2011, 05:48 PM) View Post
Are you actually using the output stage wired bridge mono or do you want a mono feed split to 2 seperate loads?

Mono feed split to 2 separate loads.

Last night I switched the amp to Input Y mode and tuned off DSP. I think that is what I want.