#1 timoth

timoth
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:44 PM

Here is what I have -  

IQ Interface II (serial in)
Crown Amps w/ PIP-USP2 cards ... I am having issues connecting to the system -

My question - Do I need to use IQ for Windows version 5.12  OR do newer versions work.

A little guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(timoth @ Jul 17 2006, 12:44 PM)
Here is what I have

IQ Interface II (serial in)
Crown Amps w/ PIP-USP2 cards ... I am having issues connecting to the system -

My question - Do I need to use IQ for Windows version 5.12  OR do newer versions work.

A little guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
View Post

You will need the IQ for Windows software as the IQwic software is for our newer Ethernet based devices.

Here are a couple of links that should also help.

http://www.crownaudio.com/iq_htm/bus.htm

http://www.crownaudio.com/iq_htm/faq.htm

#3 timoth

timoth
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

That is what I needed - THANKS!

#4 timoth

timoth
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

SPOKE TOO SOON!

So now I can sort of connect ...

I can connect via Radio Shack USB - Serial and after a few moments everything goes offline --- <sigh>

I can not connect at all using a PC card serial port -

This configuration is connected via 250' snake to a drive panel, then 20 more feet of cable to the amp rack and the loop is "terminated".  I visually inspected the rack and everything looks to be normal.  

I'm confused and I guess at this point I need to trouble shooting steps to drill into this.

Thanks in advance -

UPDATE-
Here is a copy of the log -

7/17/2006 3:32:51 PM [Local] Offline Loop 1 Crown IQPIP-USP2 v1.00x 1
7/17/2006 3:32:51 PM [Local] Offline Loop 1 Crown IQPIP-USP2 v1.00x 2
7/17/2006 3:32:51 PM [Local] Offline Loop 1 Crown IQPIP-USP2 v1.00x 3
7/17/2006 3:32:51 PM [Local] Offline Loop 1 Crown IQPIP-USP2 v1.00x 4
7/17/2006 3:32:51 PM [Local] Break Loop 1 (Unable to determine location)
7/17/2006 3:32:59 PM [Local] Interface Unable to communicate with IQ Interface

#5 dduncan4@san.rr.com

dduncan4@san.rr.com

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

The current version of Iqwic works with the pip2 cards, you need to start the IQ gateway and direct it to the correct com port that the current loop adaptor is on.  

Two of us here, have the belkin usb to serial adaptor and have had no problems with the connection. We tried other usb to serial adaptors and nothing else seemed reliable.

I do think your cable length is a little excessive.

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

From our experience we have found that with the USB to Serial devices some devices work better than others and some of those devices work better on some computers than others. We have also seen the that these devices are a little fickle in that a USB to Serial device may work on one computer but when put on another computer of the same make and model it will not.
We generally recommend a PCMCIA card to Serial I/O as these are much more reliable. The one I use is made by a company called "Sockets" The link is below.

http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0700-004.asp

As mentioned the loop length may be a bit excessive especially if the “snake cable” is of a high capacitance.
Here are the guide lines for loop wiring.
*Low capacitance wiring generally 30pF per foot or less.
*Maximum Loop capacitance 34-40nF.
*Allow 60pF per every IQ component on a Loop.
If these guide lines are followed IQ Loop communications may operate up to 1000ft. and sometimes 2000ft.

Not knowing what you mean by snake cable I am going to assume that you mean microphone cable. Microphone cable is generally not a good choice for Current Loop operations as the wire is usually of higher capacitance and the shield will add to that.

Higher capacitance cable will skew the square wave pulses of the digital signal and can cause communication to be erratic.

You might also try taking the INT-II, and computer, down to the amp location. Connect the Rack IQ Loop up directly to the INT-II In and Out to see if it is cable related.

#7 timoth

timoth
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the info - In troubleshooting I started from an amplifier and worked my way "out" from there.  Once I dug into this I found many problems,

- Cabling from IQ-INT not patched correctly.
- USB to serial port not working correctly  (took advice and bought a Socket I/O device).
- Serial cables not working correctly (2 out of 3 cables were bad).

Once I straighten this all out, everything worked as expected.  I now can connect to the amp racks via the 250' snake system and with the 300' snake system.  

Basically our use is mainly for monitoring the amps during show conditions, so for us having the computer at FOH is the most useful.

Once again, thanks to all that chimed in - NOW I need to figure out how to update this system to current technology with out spending a fortune (ideas can be PM-ed to me).

Tim