CTS4200 Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sheridan

sheridan
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

A sports bar installation I am the tech support for has a pair of CTS amps.  A 4200 and an 8200.  Both on the same power in a rack.  The 4200 has decided it wants to shut down several times a day.  The mgrs reset the power and it comes back up for however long it wants to.  The installation is about 4 years old.We will be pulling the amp and replacing it.  It would be nice to be able to repair it for a backup.  When I get this on my bench, what should I be looking for to determine the problem?  I'm thinking that it's a PSU issue and not channel related.

#2 sheridan

sheridan
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

25 views and no one has anything?

QUOTE(sheridan @ Nov 6 2011, 04:27 PM)  
A sports bar installation I am the tech support for has a pair of CTS amps.  A 4200 and an 8200.  Both on the same power in a rack.  The 4200 has decided it wants to shut down several times a day.  The mgrs reset the power and it comes back up for however long it wants to.  The installation is about 4 years old.We will be pulling the amp and replacing it.  It would be nice to be able to repair it for a backup.  When I get this on my bench, what should I be looking for to determine the problem?  I'm thinking that it's a PSU issue and not channel related.

#3 sheridan

sheridan
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Still looking for some ideas on this.

QUOTE(sheridan @ Nov 9 2011, 12:27 PM)  
25 views and no one has anything?

QUOTE(sheridan @ Nov 6 2011, 04:27 PM)  

#4 jgriggs

jgriggs
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

What do the front panel LEDs do?
Do they all turn off with the loss of audio?
Are the thermal or fault LEDs on?
Is the fan running when this happens?

Has this behavior been recreated on your bench or is it exclusive to being in the rack (with expected higher temperatures)?

Without the answers above, I would suggest looking into the low voltage power supply first.
This is mounted above the high voltage supply in the metal shield.
I suggest this, as it is the easiest item to evaluate.

#5 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

It sounds like power supply, most likely in the low voltage power supply.

#6 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

I concur. Verify the solder connections for the output header connector of the lo-volt supply.