I-Tech Ethernet Switch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 J.W.

J.W.
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

Hi. Can someone recommend a dependable,rack mountable Ethernet switch for a rack full of I-Techs? It doesn't have to be the best,but it needs to be dependable and rack mountable and have at least 6 or 8 ports.We may want to go wireless in the future.However,for right now we just need to get these puppies up and running.Thanks in advance.J.W.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:58 PM

I had seen a Road Rack Design for one a while back from out of Europe but I haven't seen them for a while. Any good Rack mount switch should do. I have seen everything from Cisco Catalyst to HP Procurves to D-Link to Netgear to Linksys being used.
I even know of one system were an off the shelf Netgear 8 port switch is strapped to a 1U Rack shelf. If it breaks it's only 50 bucks to replace it at any local office supply.
It all depends on your budget and the features you want.
My own rack I use an off the shelf Linksys Wireless Router. I have it strapped to a 1U shelf (wonder were I got the idea?  rolleyes.gif  ) in the back of my rack so that when I take off the back cover I can spin up the antennas and away I go.  biggrin.gif It was very cost effective for me and easily replaced if it goes bad.
Now... I am not saying this is the only device to use (There are a lot better switches on the market) only that I have used this one. blink.gif

#3 J.W.

J.W.
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Oct 25 2005, 01:58 PM)
I had seen a Road Rack Design for one a while back from out of Europe but I haven't seen them for a while. Any good Rack mount switch should do. I have seen everything from Cisco Catalyst to HP Procurves to D-Link to Netgear to Linksys being used.
I even know of one system were an off the shelf Netgear 8 port switch is strapped to a 1U Rack shelf. If it breaks it's only 50 bucks to replace it at any local office supply.
My own rack I use an off the shelf Linksys Wireless Router. I have it strapped to a 1U shelf (wonder were I got the idea?  rolleyes.gif  ) in the back of my rack so that when I take off the back cover I can spin up the antennas and away I go.  biggrin.gif It was very cost effective for me and easily replaced if it goes bad.
Now... I am not saying this is the only device to use (There are a lot better switches on the market) only that I have used this one. blink.gif
View Post

Thanks David.I'm really a green horn to all things computer related.When you speak of features,what might those be? I'm looking in the $2-300.00 range. We just need the switch for right now.One that would bolt into a rack would be nice.I appreciate your time David.  J.W.

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(J.W. @ Oct 25 2005, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE(DGlass @ Oct 25 2005, 01:58 PM)
My own rack I use an off the shelf Linksys Wireless Router. I have it strapped to a 1U shelf (wonder were I got the idea?  rolleyes.gif  ) in the back of my rack so that when I take off the back cover I can spin up the antennas and away I go.  biggrin.gif It was very cost effective for me and easily replaced if it goes bad.
View Post

Thanks David.I'm really a green horn to all things computer related.When you speak of features,what might those be? I'm looking in the $2-300.00 range. We just need the switch for right now.One that would bolt into a rack would be nice.I appreciate your time David.  J.W.
View Post

Usually rack mount switches start at 12 ports and up and the price range is also higher.
You may have to go with a non-rack mount 8 port switch like the Netgear FS108 and mount it on a 1U shelf.
Check out some of the following sights to see what's available.
http://www.tigerdirect.com , http://www.cdw.com , http://www.blackbox.com , http://www.insight.com/site/index.cfm

#5 Schmuck

Schmuck

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:13 PM

have been using several 16 port 1 space rack mount Cyberlink CXL 16 units for a while now, no problems.  If you want to go wireless from that, then just plug a wireless router into the switch at a later date and all the switches plugged into each other will be seen on the RF.  

I believe the switch came from tiger direct and was fairly cheap.  These racks travel quite a bit and no broken switches yet.