crown k2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bassline2

bassline2
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

hello im new to the forum .. i just bought a crown k2 for runing my sub at 2 ohms . but the first time i noticed it was running hot . is this normal for the k2 or has mine got a fault on it ..i love the bass out of the k2 its got a great sound on the bass could some one help me please thank you

#2 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(bassline2 @ Sep 17 2011, 09:37 AM) View Post
hello im new to the forum .. i just bought a crown k2 for runing my sub at 2 ohms . but the first time i noticed it was running hot . is this normal for the k2 or has mine got a fault on it ..i love the bass out of the k2 its got a great sound on the bass could some one help me please thank you

how hot ?30 deg celcius , 40,50,100?? by touch feeling this is hard to say if it is running hot. Those amp are convection cooled will feel hotter than a air cooled one. I would say if doesn't go in protection you are golden unless you get a meter to check the actual temperature to confirm other wise.

#3 bassline2

bassline2
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Stephane @ Sep 17 2011, 05:45 PM) View Post
QUOTE(bassline2 @ Sep 17 2011, 09:37 AM) View Post

how hot ?30 deg celcius , 40,50,100?? by touch feeling this is hard to say if it is running hot. Those amp are convection cooled will feel hotter than a air cooled one. I would say if doesn't go in protection you are golden unless you get a meter to check the actual temperature to confirm other wise.

thank you for you responce stephane . my k2 has not cut out well not yet anyway.i will put a thermometer on it and see how hot it gets . what do you think the temp  shoud stay at .thank you

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

Also do you know if the sleep circuit has been modified?  The amp will pull about 100W at idle or low-level audio if it is not asleep.  So imagine a 100W incandescent lightbulb is in there.  At higher levels of throughput the amp is much more efficient, of course.

#5 bassline2

bassline2
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Sep 19 2011, 09:53 AM) View Post
Also do you know if the sleep circuit has been modified?  The amp will pull about 100W at idle or low-level audio if it is not asleep.  So imagine a 100W incandescent lightbulb is in there.  At higher levels of throughput the amp is much more efficient, of course.

hello the sleep circuits is bypessed . i got the crown k2 for runing my subs on my ht system and i found that the sleep circiuts would activate and deactivate . very frustrating when watching a movie so i bypassed it .so you are suggesting that if i run it on a higher level it will run more efficient and not run as hot . have youn heard of any one water cooling the crown k series . thank you for youre input

#6 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Yes, heat will actually build up at a slower rate when the amp is in use.  At some point, most likely a very loud level, heat will build up roughly the same as at idle.

I would love to see a water-cooled K2.  Or an old VW bug for that matter.

#7 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(bassline2 @ Sep 19 2011, 12:25 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Sep 19 2011, 09:53 AM) View Post

hello the sleep circuits is bypessed . i got the crown k2 for runing my subs on my ht system and i found that the sleep circiuts would activate and deactivate . very frustrating when watching a movie so i bypassed it .so you are suggesting that if i run it on a higher level it will run more efficient and not run as hot . have youn heard of any one water cooling the crown k series . thank you for youre input

Like i said earlier i would not sweat too much about that heat unless you have real issues, i own 2 Bryston 4B (30 years old) and they do get hot to(convection cooled) when used, even at idle according to Bryston still use 100 watts ish just like the K serie. Water cooled is probably possible, i had a computer water cooled....