• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 metaverse

metaverse
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hello again,

I'm a total beginner with all this so please bare with me.

Currently I have the limiters in my xti4000 set to -3db , crossovers are set and i've done a touch of output eq'ing to flatten out my speakers response charts.  I have the subs on channel 1 and the tops/mids on channel 2.

A friend of mine who is in an electronic band (5 synths + kaoss pad) wants me to run PA for him for one of his gigs.  They run all their gear into a mixer that they control which will then output to the xti4000.  

I currently do not have a mixer nor do I have a rack mountable EQ that I can tweak on the fly.

He has warned me once or twice that I should have some type of live eq available because he is affraid that the signal may tear my speakers apart.

I'm assuming that with my current DSP settings in the xti that I should be fine as long as the master on his mixer isn't clipping , right ??

I'm also assuming that he knows nothing about crossovers and limiters which is why he might be so concerned ...

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated.

thank you

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(metaverse @ May 7 2012, 03:18 PM) View Post
Hello again,

I'm a total beginner with all this so please bare with me.

Currently I have the limiters in my xti4000 set to -3db , crossovers are set and i've done a touch of output eq'ing to flatten out my speakers response charts.  I have the subs on channel 1 and the tops/mids on channel 2.

A friend of mine who is in an electronic band (5 synths + kaoss pad) wants me to run PA for him for one of his gigs.  They run all their gear into a mixer that they control which will then output to the xti4000.  

I currently do not have a mixer nor do I have a rack mountable EQ that I can tweak on the fly.

He has warned me once or twice that I should have some type of live eq available because he is affraid that the signal may tear my speakers apart.

I'm assuming that with my current DSP settings in the xti that I should be fine as long as the master on his mixer isn't clipping , right ??

I'm also assuming that he knows nothing about crossovers and limiters which is why he might be so concerned ...

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated.

thank you

Your configuration sounds good but you didn't write what speakers/subs you have and the crossover settings for them. I don't know what your friend expects but you should make a practice run of the complete system and see if it satisfies him.

The best advice I can give you is to beware of him clipping the signal comming from his mixer!!!
One more thing, and I think that could be why your friend told you to get an EQ is that usually flat frequency response sounds too bright, lacking in low end and generally not pleasing to our ears.
Good luck smile.gif

#3 metaverse

metaverse
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ May 7 2012, 04:49 PM) View Post
Your configuration sounds good but you didn't write what speakers/subs you have and the crossover settings for them. I don't know what your friend expects but you should make a practice run of the complete system and see if it satisfies him.

The best advice I can give you is to beware of him clipping the signal comming from his mixer!!!
One more thing, and I think that could be why your friend told you to get an EQ is that usually flat frequency response sounds too bright, lacking in low end and generally not pleasing to our ears.
Good luck smile.gif

Hi dakos ,

thanks for the reply  smile.gif

Someone on another board suggested "-3db is way too much unless you have series drivers ... you must use a voltmeter to determine max gain." = I am confused.  Is he suggesting I should drop it to -6db

I'm running custom BFM tops and subs ... crossover is set at 30hz and 110hz ... The output eq'ing was tweaked and bumped a couple of db at 4 different points just to make an attempt at flattening out the frequency response chart (to the closest average response) of the respective subs and tops.  I can provide frequency response charts if you'd like.

I suggested a practice run and his bandmate lives an hour away so he's basically saying there is no time for a practice run.

Ok good ... I was hoping that I had got that part right.  At bare minimum make sure the mixer's master output is in the green and not clipping.

thanks again

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(metaverse @ May 7 2012, 08:48 PM) View Post
Hi dakos,

thanks for the reply  smile.gif

Someone on another board suggested "-3db is way too much unless you have series drivers ... you must use a voltmeter to determine max gain." = I am confused.  Is he suggesting I should drop it to -6db

One of you is confused, I'm not sure it's you, -3dB might be too much but it's the least amount of limiting on your amp.
Amp gain (or voltage gain) is more for multi amp rigs, that you want them all to amplify at the same level and control everything from a central place such as a sound processor.

I'm running custom BFM tops and subs ... crossover is set at 30hz and 110hz ... The output eq'ing was tweaked and bumped a couple of db at 4 different points just to make an attempt at flattening out the frequency response chart (to the closest average response) of the respective subs and tops.  I can provide frequency response charts if you'd like.

You need to provide the power and impedance of your speakers so I will be able to see if the amount of limiting is correct. Also the crossover for the tops, at what slope? What is your subs -3dB point?

I suggested a practice run and his bandmate lives an hour away so he's basically saying there is no time for a practice run.

Ok good ... I was hoping that I had got that part right.  At bare minimum make sure the mixer's master output is in the green and not clipping.

thanks again

Yes, you got the bare minimum correct, don't let the mixer clip, don't let the amp clip, keep your ears open and listen to distortion, don't drink allot (it changes the way our ears work), at any sign of trouble lower the gain to get a clean signal again. At all cost avoid clipping and you'll be fine smile.gif