#31 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Deromax @ Feb 21 2012, 04:16 PM) View Post
The published spec for his cab is stated as "usable down to 30 Hz"...  which of course doesn't mean you should automatically try!  smile.gif

The 30Hz is nothing more then marketing B.S., the -10dB point is 32Hz, what that means is that you need 10 times the power to make the speaker output the same SPL at 32Hz as it would in normal range of operation, I sure as *beep* wouldn't call that usable!!!

@HeadlineDJ
You got the thread correctly except for the gain structure which is not the problem but rather the output voltage of the mixer/pre. The thing is that we want to try everything we can before recomending to buy new gear.

@shep
Did you also change the HP filter to 24dB/Octave L/R?

#32 Shep

Shep

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 25 2012, 08:49 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Deromax @ Feb 21 2012, 04:16 PM) View Post
The published spec for his cab is stated as "usable down to 30 Hz"...  which of course doesn't mean you should automatically try!  smile.gif

The 30Hz is nothing more then marketing B.S., the -10dB point is 32Hz, what that means is that you need 10 times the power to make the speaker output the same SPL at 32Hz as it would in normal range of operation, I sure as *beep* wouldn't call that usable!!!

@HeadlineDJ
You got the thread correctly except for the gain structure which is not the problem but rather the output voltage of the mixer/pre. The thing is that we want to try everything we can before recomending to buy new gear.

@shep
Did you also change the HP filter to 24dB/Octave L/R?

Yeah, I altered the HP from 48/db to 24/db and performance seems improved. I have not thermal clipped it yet. A friend of mine has leant me a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 which is a traditional bass amp with modern power technology making it put out 900w at 4 ohms. I had a recording session in the week so took both my Pre/Power set up and the Genz and recorded a take of each track with each amp. The Genz just feels like it has so much more juice and no signs of struggling. It didn't even get warm. With bass amps of this quality and power now making a splash on the market, maybe it's time to move back to an amp like that rather that the pre arms crown and keep the crown for PA duties...

Shep