6 replies to this topic

#1 Schmuck

Schmuck

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:27 PM

I have an Itech 4000 that was running yesterday powering a monitor wedge (biamped) at an outdoor festival, today the amp will not fully power up.  the indicator and the power blue led come on when you power up.  No other LED's come on and the LCD never comes on - i.e. it never boots up.  Also the fans never come on in the amp as well.  The amp powered a single wedge and had only vocals in it so it was not being abused.  I am still doing the festival, and am fortunate to have a wi-fi conection here.  If anyone recieves this over the weekend and can respond and possibly give me a way to get the amp back to operational status please respond. Thanks
David

#2 Schmuck

Schmuck

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

today had the amp "come back" for a while- when the rig was powered on, it came alive but was off around thirty minutes later.  I cycled power several times when it came back the first time and each time it "booted" up.  FYI nothing except power was connected, we left it sit and idle in the rack with the others.  Returned around thirty minutes later to see it with no lights on it again and locked up.  Cycling power had no effect.  Its SN is 009*** (its one of our newer amps) so it should be past the bad cap ones.  I'll put up more info after I get back to the shop and can pull it from the rack.

David

#3 Schmuck

Schmuck

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

today in shop, amp appears to be functioning again, it powers on each time and has been idling most of the day.  It has had the power cycled numerous times.  I cannot make it repeat yet.  I am most likely going to re-flash the firmware and faceplate firmware.  I will get to sending signal thru it soon, but the problems all happened without signal hitting it.

Any ideas?

David

#4 KWhitehead

KWhitehead

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:30 PM

David,

Two things come to mind. 1) Are you using the same power cord in the shop as what was used in the rack during your gig? Want to make sure there's no imtermittent power cord problem which it could be. 2) involves a device on the power supply. This device when mounted on the solder pads is slightly mounted offset of the solder pads there's a trace that run close ot it. The high voltage to this device can be inducted over to the trace shutting down low voltage. The symptoms sounds like this and it is an easy fix with just moving that device over but it would need to be sent back to Crown to have done. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause this, firmware won't cause this kind of problem.

Thanks,

Kip Whitehead
Crown Technical Support

#5 Schmuck

Schmuck

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:48 AM

for the answer to 1) - the amp rack used all the same cabling powerwise from the amp to the motion labs rack pack.  There are 6 amps total in this rack and it has 3 phase power coming in 30 amps a leg.  So that isn't the issue, at the shop now for 3 days the amp is sitting idling fine, only difference that my power is from a power line, not a generator (the generator was plenty).  Also I swapped power cords with another in the rack, and the other amp worked fine that day, but this amp still did the same thing.  

So your #2 response looks to be the more likely culprit.  It also concerns me  - especially since I cannot make it repeat the problem now.  How likely are the amps to randomly start doing this??  There are 40+ of them here.  Do I need to start sending all of them back to be inspected for this, or wait until it happens and screws me on a show (like this one) and then send it back?  Is this something I can look at here?

These amps rock, but I definately need them to have that bulletproof crown reputation hold up like all of our crowns have done in the past.  They can't have random "fits of not working" that I have experienced on a few of our amps.  Whatever I can do to help get these more toward that level, let me know

#6 KWhitehead

KWhitehead

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:36 AM

David,

I wouldn't worry about that. I've only seen a couple of amplifiers come in with this situation. Engineering caught this in production when the fixture placed it off center and they had some with power up problems in manufacturing. This part has been running through production for 8 months plus before this happend at it was corrected very fast. The only reason I'm guessing at this to be the issue is what you described as the failure when it happens and that it's intermittent. With this component if you unsolder it and move a thousandth's of an inch it corrects it. So if it just happens to be right on that edge that could be the intermittent problem.

Thanks,

Kip Whitehead
Crown Technical Support

#7 Schmuck

Schmuck

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(KWhitehead @ Jun 10 2005, 10:36 AM)
David,

I wouldn't worry about that. I've only seen a couple of amplifiers come in with this situation. Engineering caught this in production when the fixture placed it off center and they had some with power up problems in manufacturing. This part has been running through production for 8 months plus before this happend at it was corrected very fast. The only reason I'm guessing at this to be the issue is what you described as the failure when it happens and that it's intermittent. With this component if you unsolder it and move a thousandth's of an inch it corrects it. So if it just happens to be right on that edge that could be the intermittent problem.

Thanks,

Kip Whitehead
Crown Technical Support
View Post

cool, the amp will probably return to you after another amp is fixed and returned.  I have been in phone contact with David Engstrom about another amp, and once that one is done, then this amp will probably head back to be looked at.  At this point, it is still not misbehaving again yet.....