#1 RogerB

RogerB
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hello,

I need input on the following:

Equipment = 1, XTi 4002 and 1, JBL MRX 518s Subwoofer @ 4 Ohms

I plan on acquiring another sub at a later date (not soon).

How best should I configure the 4002 - a. Sub Synth or b. Stereo with the sub connected to one channel and using the internal EQ to maximize the lows, or c.  Use System Architecture to maximize the Sub using the JBL files provided with.

Yes, I'm new to all of this.

Thanks in advance

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(RogerB @ May 11 2012, 10:52 AM) View Post
Hello,

How best should I configure the 4002 - a. Sub Synth or b. Stereo with the sub connected to one channel and using the internal EQ to maximize the lows, or c.  Use System Architecture to maximize the Sub using the JBL files provided with.

Thanks in advance

Running the 4002 at 4 ohm bridge is not recommended so your option is to use one channel for now and when you get the other sub connect it to the other channel. Definitely use the JBL tuning files but only as a starting point to configure away. By all means try to set subsynth and see, if you like it use it. As for connecting in stereo, the answer is no, you should use signal summing which is a feature your amp has.

#3 RogerB

RogerB
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ May 11 2012, 02:12 PM) View Post
QUOTE(RogerB @ May 11 2012, 10:52 AM) View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance

Running the 4002 at 4 ohm bridge is not recommended so your option is to use one channel for now and when you get the other sub connect it to the other channel. Definitely use the JBL tuning files but only as a starting point to configure away. By all means try to set subsynth and see, if you like it use it. As for connecting in stereo, the answer is no, you should use signal summing which is a feature your amp has.

Thanks Dakos.

This leads to few more questions, please.

Before the questions though, I agree, bridged mode would not be good. I apologize if I gave the impression I was considering doing so. The Sub is rated @ 4 Ohms

So that I understand, you are suggesting either subsynth (which is a preset) or turn DSP on and use the input mode SUM (CH1 + CH2), detailed on page 10 and 11 in the manual.  If so, and I use SUM (CH1 + CH2) I'm assuming that after I load the tuning files, I'll tweak the signal with the EQ settings......correct?

Page 11 mentions Subharmonic Synth, but I don't see it as part of the DSP processes on page 10.  Is this the same as the subsynth preset?

Sorry for the "newbie" questions.  Just want to get the best sound out of the system

Regards,

RogerB

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE(RogerB @ May 11 2012, 03:23 PM) View Post
Thanks Dakos.

Before the questions though, I agree, bridged mode would not be good. I apologize if I gave the impression I was considering doing so. The Sub is rated @ 4 Ohms

So that I understand, you are suggesting either subsynth (which is a preset) or turn DSP on and use the input mode SUM (CH1 + CH2), detailed on page 10 and 11 in the manual.  If so, and I use SUM (CH1 + CH2) I'm assuming that after I load the tuning files, I'll tweak the signal with the EQ settings......correct?

Page 11 mentions Subharmonic Synth, but I don't see it as part of the DSP processes on page 10.  Is this the same as the subsynth preset?

Sorry for the "newbie" questions.  Just want to get the best sound out of the system

Regards,

RogerB

Dear Roger,
Sorry for the delay in replying to you, I had to make sure how subsynth works before answering your questions.

Subsynth preset activates a few DSP features, the sub harmonic synthesiser, a 90hz low pass filter, a bit of EQ'ing and last is signal summing, you can change the crossover frequency and add the EQ needed to flatten your specific speakers.
Tuning files are downloaded to the amp and saved as a different custome preset so if you load it you wouldn't have subsynth so first load subsynth and then add the tunings manually.

#5 RogerB

RogerB
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ May 16 2012, 12:09 AM) View Post
QUOTE(RogerB @ May 11 2012, 03:23 PM) View Post
Thanks Dakos.

Regards,

RogerB

Dear Roger,
Sorry for the delay in replying to you, I had to make sure how subsynth works before answering your questions.

Subsynth preset activates a few DSP features, the sub harmonic synthesiser, a 90hz low pass filter, a bit of EQ'ing and last is signal summing, you can change the crossover frequency and add the EQ needed to flatten your specific speakers.
Tuning files are downloaded to the amp and saved as a different custome preset so if you load it you wouldn't have subsynth so first load subsynth and then add the tunings manually.

Dakos,

Thanks for the informative reply.  I'll use your suggestion and report back how the overall setting sounds.

You've been very helpful!

RogerB