8 replies to this topic

#1 fbtmaxx

fbtmaxx

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

Hi all! I own 2xcrown 1400 csl amp's and one 800csl  smile.gif .I use one 1400 on two JBL2226H's as subwoofers and i find that the amp is heating up extremely sad.gif .I don't know is this normal for them or there's some problem with the amps,the fan's are working but at the sides where the heat is comming out it is so hot i nearly can't touch it.This is geting me worryed pretty much.I never drive them to full power because i don't know what will happen and how hot they can get before they go in protect mode.  Sorry for bad english  smile.gif
the more you give the more you have!

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

The 1400csl will run warm but let's take a look at what might also be going on.

The 2226H is a 600w 8-ohm speaker from the JBL cut sheet. Since I don't know how you have the system connected I will just have to look at the basics.

By how the system is connected I mean:

How do you have the speakers connected to the amplifier?
One per side (Dual Channel) Stereo Mode?

Is the amplifier set up in Bridge-Mono Mode with both speakers connected in parallel?
Is the amplifier set up in Parallel-Mono mode with both speakers connected in parallel?

The 1400csl did 520 watts into 8 ohms per channel. If you are connected in (Dual Channel) Stereo Mode it appears you are a little underpowered. The 1400csl only did 520 watts into 8 ohms per channel.

In Parallel Mono the 1400csl did 1050 watts into 4 ohms. Still low from the 1200 watts MINIMUM need for the two speakers together.

The 1400csl was not rated for a 4-ohm load in Bridge-Mono mode but would do 1500 watts for an 8-ohm load in this mode.

Since in Pro Audio you like to have amplifier power with about twice the Continuous Power rating for a speaker, for 3db of headroom for peaks in the signal source, the 1400csl is low in power for your needs. It's better to have a more power than to little.

The 1400csl will work if kept to low volume levels but if pushed or playing materials with a lot of signal peaks the amplifier will get warm- Hot even.

#3 fbtmaxx

fbtmaxx

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:15 AM

How do you have the speakers connected to the amplifier?

I run them in Stereo mode one per side,and amp is set up to stereo mode  smile.gif
I use this setup for mobile dj-ing where usualy vinyls are played but i noticed that when i hooked the 1400csl on 4 eminence kappa 15 speakers that means 4ohms per side in stereo it didn't get so warm after 5-6 hours of playing on high levels like on two JBL's which are 8ohm's but when i checked the impendance it says 5,5ohm's blink.gif

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:32 PM

Not knowing the power rating of the Eminence speakers .........
The Eminence speakers may be better power matched.
The 1400csl is under powered for your application for even one of the 2226H speakers per side.

#5 fbtmaxx

fbtmaxx

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:45 PM

Ok Thank you smile.gif

#6 fbtmaxx

fbtmaxx

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

And one more thing about my CSL800 amp biggrin.gif .I'm having problems with the internal fan,it's noisy, i tried to take the top cover off the amp and everything seems ok but the fan is noisy there is no dust inside.  sad.gif

#7 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:33 PM

Do you have another CSL amp you can compare the fan noise to?
From here it would be kind of hard to say if itís overly noisy or not.  biggrin.gif
If you feel the fan in your CSL amplifier is excessively noisy a replacement fan can be ordered from our parts department here at Crown. If you are still concerned over the amplifier not working as you would like you can send it to our repair department here at Crown. A Service Return Authorization (SRA) may be obtained from the Crown Service web page at: www.crownaudio.com/support/factserv.htm
smile.gif

#8 fbtmaxx

fbtmaxx

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Feb 9 2005, 09:33 PM)
Do you have another CSL amp you can compare the fan noise to?
From here it would be kind of hard to say if itís overly noisy or not.† biggrin.gif
View Post

I have two more csl1400 amp's and they are much less noisy than 800csl.Maybe i can ask my local Crown distributor Studio Berar for the replacement of the part or maybe to fix it somehow

#9 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:41 AM

The transformer for the fan in the 1400csl is also part of the power supply circuit. It's part number is H43567-9  and can be ordered from our Parts Department. 1.574.294.8210.