Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hfc7713

XLS Drivecore Channel input

18 posts in this topic

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice....

So, I have been using Crown XTI 4002 in bridge mode to power 2 SRX 715's, XLS drivecore 2000 in stereo to power 2 MRX 518's, Carvin HT700 to power horns (bi-amping 715's). Sounds great. However, as an experiment, I switched the 2 Crown amps to get a bigger punch through the subs.

Was 3200w bridged mids - XTI4002 and 650w per channel stereo for subs -XLS2000.

Now 1200w stereo subs -XTI4002 and 2100w bridged mids - XLS2000.

Mids are 8 ohms and subs are 4 ohms.

Carvin simply wired in stereo to horns through 4 pole speakons......

I use a DBX Driverack PA as crossover.

Is there a better way to wire this system???

Also, how do I connect the left and right outs from the DBX to the XLS? When in bridge mode, only one input is used on the amp. When I used the XTI bridged, I could connect both inputs. This is all according to the literature I have. Do I simply need a 'y' xlr cable to take left and right outs to one mono input??

I hope I explained that well.......

So, I have been using Crown XTI 4002 in bridge mode to power 2 SRX 715's, XLS drivecore 2000 in stereo to power 2 MRX 518's, Carvin HT700 to power horns (bi-amping 715's). Sounds great. However, as an experiment, I switched the 2 Crown amps to get a bigger punch through the subs.

Also, how do I connect the left and right outs from the DBX to the XLS? When in bridge mode, only one input is used on the amp. When I used the XTI bridged, I could connect both inputs. This is all according to the literature I have. Do I simply need a 'y' xlr cable to take left and right outs to one mono input??

The difference between the two amps is not going to make an audible difference, you need two times the power to be able to hear the difference and since both these amps are in the same league the sound is also going to be pretty much equal (both amps bridged).

The difference between the two amps is not going to make an audible difference, you need two times the power to be able to hear the difference and since both these amps are in the same league the sound is also going to be pretty much equal (both amps bridged).

Yep....I probably already figured as much. Just wanted to make sure I was getting the best out of the system. BTW I cannot use either amp in bridge through the subs.....4 ohms each already.

Thanks for the response dakos.....

Yep....I probably already figured as much. Just wanted to make sure I was getting the best out of the system. BTW I cannot use either amp in bridge through the subs.....4 ohms each already.

Then you need to connect both MRXs to the 4002 in series so it would see 8 ohms and configure it to bridge mono, that's 1200W per cab which is almost its rated long term (100h) max power so be careful not to damage them. Keep the SRXs on the bridged XLS. First chance you get change those amps for itechs, that will be a real game changer for you.

Then you need to connect both MRXs to the 4002 in series so it would see 8 ohms and configure it to bridge mono, that's 1200W per cab which is almost its rated long term (100h) max power so be careful not to damage them. Keep the SRXs on the bridged XLS. First chance you get change those amps for itechs, that will be a real game changer for you.

That is where I get confused. I understand how to hardwire speakers in series inside a cab but not sure how that translates to external speakon connections for mobile applications.

Also......does anyone know how I connect the Crown XLS drivecore to use bridged from my external crossover if I have left and right outputs but no mono out?. The literature says to only input channel 1 if bridged. My XTI accepts both channel inputs in bridged mode. I do not want to use a 'y' cable. If I connect channel 1 and channel 2 in bridge mode, what will happen? The low output on the crossover has left/mono out for this very reason IF I use this amp for subs. I want to use it for mids but no mono out on crossover for mids.

Also......does anyone know how I connect the Crown XLS drivecore to use bridged from my external crossover if I have left and right outputs but no mono out?. The literature says to only input channel 1 if bridged. My XTI accepts both channel inputs in bridged mode. I do not want to use a 'y' cable. If I connect channel 1 and channel 2 in bridge mode, what will happen? The low output on the crossover has left/mono out for this very reason IF I use this amp for subs. I want to use it for mids but no mono out on crossover for mids.

What type of music do you play?

QUOTE(debzdoodle @ Jun 26 2012, 09:43 AM)

rock, pop...a little of everything.........

<!--quoteo(post=16202:date=Jun 26 2012, 10:08 AM:name=debzdoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(debzdoodle @ Jun 26 2012, 10:08 AM) 16202[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->QUOTE(debzdoodle @ Jun 26 2012, 09:43 AM)

rock, pop...a little of everything.........<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->[\quote]

Just wanted to make sure you're not playing live...

In that case, when running the mids at bridged mono you're loosing the data from one channel. That's very unrecommended and that's why you don't have such a mode on the DRPA. You should get a stronger amp with enough power at 8 ohm stereo and not run it on bridge mode. Is there a chance you can do that?

QUOTE(debzdoodle @ Jun 26 2012, 09:43 AM)

rock, pop...a little of everything.........

Just wanted to make sure you're not playing live...

In that case, when running the mids at bridged mono you're loosing the data from one channel. That's very unrecommended and that's why you don't have such a mode on the DRPA. You should get a stronger amp with enough power at 8 ohm stereo and not run it on bridge mode. Is there a chance you can do that?

No..not right now. The reason I got the XLS2000 was because I was only running one MRX518. Bridged I had 2100w available to me. I then came across a really good deal on a second MRX518 and had to get it. I then realized my choice of amp in the first place was not a good one for 2 x 4ohm cabs. I would have chosen a different amp if I had planned ahead. I will eventually simply switch out the XLS for something bigger.

Then till the amp switch I'd put the 518s on the XTI and keep the 715s on the bridged XLS. The two 518s will be happy with on the XTI, the problem you have is with the 715s, they need more, either get another XLS and configure them each to be bridged on each of the 715s (cheaper but not the best solution) or get one itech 4/6000 and you'll also eliminate the need to triamp.

Till then happy playing...

Thanks dakos...but I have it set up with the XTI on the mids and the XLS on the subs. I WANT to switch but I am restricted with the XLS in bridge mode only accepting mono input. The DRPA only offers left and right output for mids.

You have good advice on means of hooking this up.

Food for thought if this system is used to entertain others, than the system should be mono across the board. If people congregate to one side of the room they will miss half of the stereo feed. Mono rigs are most popular as they tend to allow all people to hear the same content. It is only realistic to run stereo for fixed position listeners and then they all must be between the speakers to hear the stereo seperation. In end Mono is best for PA work.

Other great news is the XLS is a great amp. Most forget to look into the real facts of this amp. +90% Effiecent 200 watts of ac cord at full power, -126dbu signal to noise ratio, 11lbs so it wont break your back. While yes I-Tech HD's are wonderful amps, but for the small band or the DJ they outperform many amps available in the marketplace as they dont break the bank. The best part is they are incredibly reliable as failure rates are less than 1/4%!! This amp you should keep around.

Thanks rodr@fse_crown, I am pleased you said that because I do like this amp. I just wish both channels were hot in bridge mode. I am running the whole system in mono ....I use the mono output from the desk, DRPA is set to mono but I run the Carvin in stereo (175w per side) simply because I do not need bridge power for the highs. The XLS is obviously run stereo (650 w per side) because I cannot run it bridged into 2 ohms. The XTI is bridged because the SRX's are 8 ohms which allows me 4 ohm bridge (3200w)..........

Thanks