Mctwins

XLS drivecore

18 posts in this topic

Hi

Is there any difference in the input sensitivity between the rca and xlr for the xls drivecore amps.

Balanced apply for +4dBu and unbalanced for -10dBv.

In the spec it only says 1,4 Volts input sensitivity.

Thanks

Hi

Is there any difference in the input sensitivity between the rca and xlr for the xls drivecore amps.

Balanced apply for +4dBu and unbalanced for -10dBv.

In the spec it only says 1,4 Volts input sensitivity.

Thanks

Your best and fastest bet is to contact the tech support

1-800-342-6939

If you're from out of the US, it's still free using Skype.

If you prefer to eMail then use the link to Crown Tech Support

Thanks dakos

I suppose that I have to call them.

What happened with this forum. I do miss Kevin very fast replies :)

Thanks dakos

I suppose that I have to call them.

What happened with this forum. I do miss Kevin very fast replies :)

Kevin still works for Crown, you can still contact him via the link I posted earlier. This forum is kind off abandoned by the tech support so it's just us... doing the best we can :)

Maybe I should wrote Kevin Heber.

You refer to another Kevin. :) Why the abandoned by the tech support.

Thanks

The sensitivity is the same for all the inputs, they are basically all in parallel.

The sensitivity is the same for all the inputs, they are basically all in parallel.

So, in RCA and XLR it is 1,4Volts. Is this the same as in +4 dBu. If I have a preamp that has RCA and 0,775 Volts as standard then this means that I cant get full power from the amp??

Can this be correct??

Thanks

The 0.775 volts value for your preamp is most probably a nominal level. The maximum output with most equipment have good chance to be higher than nominal. The difference is only 6 dB. You'd have to try it but I bet it will work.

hello i just asked sort of the same question in another thread i have a mixer and the output on it is not high enough for the amp .. if i go from my mixer to a crossover will the crossover provide that extra boost i need to get full power from the amp or do i still need an active box to amp up the signal ?

You would have to use a crossover that provide a mean to add gain. Most Equalizers would do this.

It's a shame that DJ equipment doesn't comply with professionnal levels and doesn't interface well with pro equipment. I mean, do they think people will do their DJing using their Panasonic home theater amplifier or what!! Musical instrument preamps also have this problem... :angry:

just want to update on my problem i bought the rolls promatch and i'm getting full power now before i would have the gain all up and now i only have it half way still thinking about getting a crossover but i don't think i need it maybe in the near future thanks for the input guys

Are you talking about the gain on the Crown amp? Because it's not a problem to have it wide open!

Are you talking about the gain on the Crown amp? Because it's not a problem to have it wide open!

With the clip option on? Do u know if it still works like if u turn up the bass on the mixer?

You may be talking about the limiter? It has nothing to do with the position of the gain knob. On the Drivecore amps the limiter is non-ajustable and hence will limit the output to the maximum power, ie prevent clip. The gain knob is just another volume control, just like the master output on your mixer and it will NOT reduce the available power output.

i'm new to pro audio i'v been getting the hang of it though terms and what not but what do you mean having the gain wide open? i would imagine having it all up? i have the xls 1500 but it'll clip though cause i have the clip option deactivated

i'm new to pro audio i'v been getting the hang of it though terms and what not but what do you mean having the gain wide open? i would imagine having it all up? i have the xls 1500 but it'll clip though cause i have the clip option deactivated
Dear torres,

I'm guessing that by "clip option" you mean the built in limiters?

Your system is clipping not because you have an option or a switch enabled or disabled, it's clipping because you're operating it the wrong way!!! It's NEVER the systems fault!!!

Now please write to us your whole system configuration...

If you have the limiter ON, the red clip lights are indicating that limiting is going on (when lit), but it's not actually clipping. In either case, you are bumbing against the maximum available power in the amp, which means you should have got a more powerful amp. If it's flashing red only occasionnally and briefely, then all is well. If it lights up like every other notes you play, then the amp is too weak for your application.

Wide open = maximum setting. There is no harm running a power amp at maximum. Some models don't even have volume knob on them, so they are basically always at max by default.