Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danrees

crown k2

7 posts in this topic

hello im new to the forum .. i just bought a crown k2 for runing my sub at 2 ohms . but the first time i noticed it was running hot . is this normal for the k2 or has mine got a fault on it ..i love the bass out of the k2 its got a great sound on the bass could some one help me please thank you

hello im new to the forum .. i just bought a crown k2 for runing my sub at 2 ohms . but the first time i noticed it was running hot . is this normal for the k2 or has mine got a fault on it ..i love the bass out of the k2 its got a great sound on the bass could some one help me please thank you

how hot ?30 deg celcius , 40,50,100?? by touch feeling this is hard to say if it is running hot. Those amp are convection cooled will feel hotter than a air cooled one. I would say if doesn't go in protection you are golden unless you get a meter to check the actual temperature to confirm other wise.

how hot ?30 deg celcius , 40,50,100?? by touch feeling this is hard to say if it is running hot. Those amp are convection cooled will feel hotter than a air cooled one. I would say if doesn't go in protection you are golden unless you get a meter to check the actual temperature to confirm other wise.

thank you for you responce stephane . my k2 has not cut out well not yet anyway.i will put a thermometer on it and see how hot it gets . what do you think the temp shoud stay at .thank you

Also do you know if the sleep circuit has been modified? The amp will pull about 100W at idle or low-level audio if it is not asleep. So imagine a 100W incandescent lightbulb is in there. At higher levels of throughput the amp is much more efficient, of course.

Also do you know if the sleep circuit has been modified? The amp will pull about 100W at idle or low-level audio if it is not asleep. So imagine a 100W incandescent lightbulb is in there. At higher levels of throughput the amp is much more efficient, of course.

hello the sleep circuits is bypessed . i got the crown k2 for runing my subs on my ht system and i found that the sleep circiuts would activate and deactivate . very frustrating when watching a movie so i bypassed it .so you are suggesting that if i run it on a higher level it will run more efficient and not run as hot . have youn heard of any one water cooling the crown k series . thank you for youre input

Yes, heat will actually build up at a slower rate when the amp is in use. At some point, most likely a very loud level, heat will build up roughly the same as at idle.

I would love to see a water-cooled K2. Or an old VW bug for that matter.

hello the sleep circuits is bypessed . i got the crown k2 for runing my subs on my ht system and i found that the sleep circiuts would activate and deactivate . very frustrating when watching a movie so i bypassed it .so you are suggesting that if i run it on a higher level it will run more efficient and not run as hot . have youn heard of any one water cooling the crown k series . thank you for youre input

Like i said earlier i would not sweat too much about that heat unless you have real issues, i own 2 Bryston 4B (30 years old) and they do get hot to(convection cooled) when used, even at idle according to Bryston still use 100 watts ish just like the K serie. Water cooled is probably possible, i had a computer water cooled....