CrownSteve

Link Out Usage

4 posts in this topic

Hello Kevin...on a previous post you mentioned:

Sorry for the delay. If I understand you correctly, you can just plug your XLR mixer out-to-stereo inputs into one amp and jump these (e.g., with short XLR cables) into the inputs of second amp using the link connectors. Speaker outputs are strictly for speakers; link outputs are strictly for other amp inputs.

Would this apply to active powered speakers? I am getting a hum noise only on my Link/Out's. I just hooked up my new XLS 2500 and I have a laptop out to a mixer then out to the amp powering two 18" subs connected low pass and I have two active powered speakers getting their line in from the amp's Link/Out's. When I turn on the active speakers with no audio I get a hum. When I connect directly bypassing the amp to the active speakers no hum.

Any ideas?

Thanks...Steve.

The Link Out on the XLS2500 is somewhat different than the XTi. Best way to eliminate the hum is probably to use the 1/4" jacks for input to your powered subs and make sure you are using balanced (TRS) connector plugs. Don't use the RCA jacks if you can avoid it.

I would suggest using either a balanced line level signal splitter before the amp(s) with one output going to the amps and one going to the active powered speakers or use a line level isolation transformer on the amplifiers Link Out to feed the active powered speakers. Either way should assure that the two systems are properly isolated and balanced.

Yea sound like something with the grounding with balanced/unbalanced going on. I plugged everything into the same outlet that the amp, mixer and laptop are in and it has diminished a lot.