Tackler

Amcron Crown IC150A preamp

3 posts in this topic

I have been offered an Amcron Crown IC150A preamp dating from the 70's.

Is it still a worthwhile project?

Back then I was far too poor to afford such expensive high-end equipment.

But is it still worth lusting after? Isn't a pretty average modern 21st century ordinary Japanese transistor pre-amp a better proposition than an Amcron Crown IC150A from the early seventies?

The IC 150A is still a much sought after preamp, by many, and if it is still in working condition would be a great item. It should be noted however that there are a few parts that are no longer available from the manufactures. So if there is something wrong with it the unit may or may not be repairable.

The IC 150A is still a much sought after preamp, by many, and if it is still in working condition would be a great item. It should be noted however that there are a few parts that are no longer available from the manufactures. So if there is something wrong with it the unit may or may not be repairable.

A very late reply/addition to this, but which parts are not available now, apart from the usual case bits that were probably "specials" for this model?

I've inherited an IC150 which a late friend used since bought new in the mid seventies. It's in very fair condition, although the volume pot is now U/S, mainly due to clumsiness on my part :angry: Is this item still available (I hope so), as it appears to be a non standard part (400K Log with extra taps for the "loudness" function)?

When used as per instructions with my now serviced and still great D-60's and with volume turned well up (75%) and overall gain adjusted on the power amps, I was well impressed with the sonics when I had it working, although I did notice an excessive "crispness" with volume turned down and power amp gain turned up, as I suspect many others have done, judging by the negative comments read elsewhere on the web. if the original part is no longer available, might it be possible to obtain a 500K stepped atenuator for volume duties (I think DACT make one for not too much money) and maybe hard wire some resistors in the "loudness" terminals to simulate a fixed curve when this button is depressed? I'd like to keep all funtions reasonably intact if possible.

Living in the UK, these preamps are pretty rare and usually working. Obtaining a unit for parts from the US is probably going to be hideously expensive once shipped over here. I've emailed the US parts dept but haven't as yet received a reply :(

Hope someone somewhere can help with a working pot, used or otherwise.....