Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davidsgames

XLS 402 - 2 Ohm Load

6 posts in this topic

I am looking at an XLS-402 to drive 4 speakers. That's not really an issue. The problem I'm having is that I am going to send a mono signal into the amp, then make Channel 1 into Zone 1, and Channel 2 into Zone 2.

Zone 1 will have (2) 4 Ohm speakers

Zone 2 will have (2) 8 Ohm speakers

If I run both sets in Parallel, I will have a 2 Ohm Load on Channel 1 and a 4 Ohm Load on Channel 2. What will the power output of the 2 ohm load be, on Channel 1, so that I can throttle the max output of Channel 1 as to not blow out the speakers (Peavey Impulse 652S).

I think my only other option is to wire Channel 1 in Series to make it an 8 Ohm load (ok something I've never done before). So Channel 1 would then be 8 Ohm, and Channel 2 would be 4 Ohms.

I hope that's clear.

Thanks,

David

i saw your question wasnt answered, so ill answer it for you--

the xls 402 is 300 watts per channel @ 8 ohms

450 watts per channel @ 4 ohms

570 watts per channel @ 2 ohms

900 watts bridged @ 8 ohms

1140 watts bridged @ 4 ohms

Is it safe to run the 402 at a 2ohm load? Any of the specs you get from Crown doesn't even show wattage for 2ohm so I didn't know if it was really recommended. I'll be running a dual cab with a 4ohm rating daisy chained to a single cab with an 8ohm rating. That puts my total at 2.67ohms, but I didn't know if the amp would handle it. I had thought about putting the duals in series rather than parallel so as to bring it up to a 4ohm total, but if the amp will handle it I won't bother. Let me know what you think.

How about the new "D" series? Do they have any more protection against overheating?

Yes they shut down when over heating, never a good idea to run an amplifier to its minimum impedance run it @ 4 ohms and get a second one, those amps a so cheap to get, plus you do have a spare if one go boom so the show can go on.