Crown takes the quality of our products very seriously and stands behind every product we sell. We have been made aware of a quality problem in a part provided to us by one of our suppliers which has been shown to cause certain amplifiers within the XTi, CDi & DSi series families to fail. While we have rectified this quality issue for all current and future production, a number of the affected amplifiers have been shipped and are currently in use.
As a result, Crown is today announcing a a corrective action program for certain CDi, DSi and XTi amplifiers. If you purchased a CDi, DSi or XTi series amplifier between September 1, 2009 and April 30, 2010, your amp may be affected. To confirm, please locate your amplifier's serial number. It is a 10-digit number on the back panel of the amplifier near the power inlet and it begins with "8500".
- What is the basis for this corrective action? What happened?
In early May 2010, we noticed an unusually high return rate on CDi amplifiers. As we investigated this and determined the root cause, we discovered a supplier quality problem that will likely impact several amplifier models in the CDi, DSi and XTi families.
- How will I know if my amplifier is affected?
Many of these models contain power supply resistors which demonstrate a very short lifetime. When these resistors fail, the amplifier will not turn on.
- Which models are affected?
The following amplifier models are affected:
- Are there any safety hazards involved with this issue?
No safety issue exists, but because the amplifier stops functioning we believe it is important to address this with a corrective action.
- What if the manufacture date on my amplifier falls within the affected range but I didn’t receive it until after April 30, 2010?
Any model that was shipped after April 30, 2010 regardless of manufacture date, has already been corrected. All units within Crown production and warehouses are being reworked before shipment. All forward production is now being made with known-good components. All field units will be reworked or replaced to complete customer satisfaction.
- How can I get my amplifier fixed?
Inside the United States:
- Take your amplifier to your nearest Crown service center. Locate one by following this link: http://www.crownaudio.com/servcent.htm
- For personal assistance in having your corrective action performed, please call Crown at 800-342-6939 and select option #3 between the hours of 8:00am and 7:00pm EDT, Monday through Thursday and 8:00am to 5:00pm on Friday.
Outside the United States:
- Where do I go for additional information or for questions not answered here?
Please contact Crown's technical support group: http://www.crownaudio.com/techsupp.htm